A Brewtiful Beginning - Chapter 15

Start from the beginning

While he still had to abide by his role as a server and treat the man as a customer, he refused to let them worm themselves back into Palette's life. If this guy was the reason his companion was acting strange as he suspected, Goth would do everything in his power to drive them off without incident.

The customer glared at the refusal, but his brown eyes darted away for a moment before a haughty smirk donned on his face, "You like him, don't you?"

Goth was taken aback by the sudden shift in topic, "W... what?"

"You like him," the man repeated, leaning forward on his elbows, "I bet you have a real thing for him, don't you? Is that why you're so nice to him? Hoping he'll like you back? Or are you trying to get an in so you can use him? That's really low, you know that?"

The hooded monster bristled at the hypocrisy as he tried to defend himself, "No, Palette's... he's... I wouldn't do that to him."

"Your face tells a different story," the guy cooed in a sickly smooth voice, "Even if you aren't using him, what could a pathetic little freak like you offer in return? Money? It doesn't even look like you can afford clothes that fit you, I bet you bust your rump every day just to make ends meet."

"Protection? As if a midget like you could do anything in a fight; those thin arms would snap like twigs," he snapped his fingers for emphasis, making Goth wince, "So tell me, what do you have that he would be interested in?"

Goth didn't have an answer. He knew the man was saying these things to get to him. People like him fought with words, breaking their targets down and getting in their heads. He'd dealt with people far worse than this man in the past... but their words stung just a bit too much to simply ignore. He really didn't have anything to offer.

He'd already accepted he would never have enough money to afford anything more than an apartment. He more or less knew how to defend himself; being practically required in a city, but he wouldn't call himself strong. He acted like he was smart, but he knew there was still plenty of things he didn't know. He wasn't exciting or entertaining, preferring quiet activities to going out.

There really wasn't anything that novel about him.

"Nothing to say?" the man taunted, sneering at his target.

"He's my roommate, Goth."

Goth jumped, spinning around to find Palette walking around the counter. Contrary to the zoned expression he'd held for most of the day, his face was now scrunched up in something akin to indignation. 

He placed himself in front of the smaller skeleton, glaring down at the unwanted customer as he continued, "He may not have a lot of money, but he's smart on how he spends what he has. He might not be strong, but he has friends to help him out of tough spots.

"He's funny, being able to take normal words and spin them into a joke. He also genuinely cares about the people around him and does his best to help them. And above all, he inspires others to be better people and to do what's right, even if it's not always what's easy. That's what he has to offer."

"Palette...," Goth murmured softly, looking up at the back of the taller's skull in disbelief.

"Our cafe is exercising the right to refuse service to you," Palette growled, "Please leave or you will be made to leave by force."

The guys snorted, "Oh really? And who's going to make me?"

The tension in the atmosphere was thick as the pair stared each other down. Goth shifted anxiously, anticipating a fight as Palette opened his mouth.

"We are," Mona's voice called out instead.

Goth looked over his shoulder, his sockets widening at the sight of Tai, Flo, and Mona all coming out from behind the counter to stand behind them.

"I've heard enough to have you taken in for harassment and have surveillance cameras to back it up," the old woman asserted, crossing her arms, "I may be an old woman, but I still know how to give whippersnappers like you a good spanking. Now get out of my establishment, I'll have none of your nonsense bully tactics here."

"Bunch of monster loving freaks," the man spat, shooting daggers at the pair of skeletons, but stood and threw open the door with a loud rattle of the bell. Everyone watched as he stalked past the row of windows and disappeared.

"... That was scary. Good thing he's still as much of a coward as he was before," Palette exhaled, sagging in place before turning to address the smaller, "Are you okay? Sounds like he said some pretty nasty things."

Goth breathed out, only now realizing he'd been holding his breath, "Yeah, I'm fine. Was that guy...?"

"Yeah, that was him. He hasn't changed at all," the artist confirmed sullenly.

Mona came forward, placing a hand on each of their shoulders, "Why don't you both take a few minutes to collect yourselves. Tai, Flo, and I can manage a while up here."

***

Word Count: 1,560