He was quiet for a very, very long time--so long that I momentarily wondered if he'd fallen asleep, but I knew deep down he hadn't.

He would never.

"You're young," he finally allowed, squeezing me reassuringly. "You're still developing, and more than that you were malnourished for a vast majority of your earliest years. Like I said before, you need blood in order to remain healthy and allow your vampirism to finish maturing properly."

"Are you sure you want me biting you for forever, though?" I asked, and he stiffened. "I mean--"

"Yes, damn right I do," he growled, threatening. "Not only does it benefit you health wise, it makes me feel connected to you emotionally, stimulates me physically as well as sexually, and most importantly I can literally smell your love and worry for me as you're doing it with that damned gentleness. Its like a cocktail of personal aphrodisiacs and I love it." 

"Wow," I murmured. "I knew you liked me biting you because of the intimacy and also that you kinda found it hot but I didn't realize you felt that deeply about it."

"Why wouldn't I?" he chuckled rather evilly. "It turns me the fuck on in all the right ways. Believe it or not, I don't get sexually aroused unless I'm either alone or in love with someone. I've always been wired that way. By myself? No issue. Another person I don't know? I remain soft." 

"Really?" I whispered, amazed. "So, you really didn't have any sex at all until me?"

"Not with another living person, no," he muttered, caressing my back. "Not that I didn't try, after a time. Several people propositioned and came onto me in the past during my hunts for Jasper, and a few times I admittedly gave in and tried... but I felt nothing. Couldn't get it up. No matter how hard I tried, nothing ever came of it. People always ended up leaving disappointed."

Damn. 

"So... you're saying you... fell for me early on?" I hesitantly asked, remembering that night in the hallway when he'd kissed me, completely naked, obviously rock hard. "Did you really?"

"Obviously," he snorted, pinching my ass so hard that I jumped. "That realization alone tied into my ill-channeled anger, frustration, and hate during those early days between us. I was going through a complex mental storm of denial and self-loathing, telling myself it couldn't be, that it was only lust... instinct because you were tied to Jasper, carried his blood, nothing more."

"Ah... so--"

"I'm not finished," he growled, and I snapped my mouth shut. He squeezed as he uttered, "In truth... I think I may have fell in love with you the night you went swimming in the river. Even after what I saw with those college children you took blood from, I was still suspicious and had every intention of killing you... but the moment I saw you, naked in the moonlight, your hair... your scars... your beauty... the beast in me wanted to fucking rear back and howl."

"Wow, I guess I still got it," I drawled, but squeaked when he pinched my ass again.

"Don't be coy," he grumbled, sounding affronted. "I'm trying to communicate."

"I'm just teasing you," I whispered, wriggling up a bit so I could kiss his throat. "You know that."

"Indeed I do."

I nodded, settling back down against him. "So, what can you hear right now? And how far?"

He cocked his head, I heard it thanks to the rustle of the pillow beneath it.

"I can hear your lungs... blood running through your veins, your heartbeat, and the way your jugular pulses in your throat," he reluctantly explained. "I can hear the same from Richard, Leo, and Kyle... and I can hear my heart, too, although I tend to sort of subconsciously filter that out. The same way your brain ignores your nose being in your field of vision."