Chapter 133

Author's note: This chapter is shorter, but juicy. Enjoy!

_________________

Chapter One Hundred and Thirty Three

Leo was silent.

I was sitting in the back of the car with my head against the window, staring out at the passing streetlights zipping by. Golden illumination highlighted my lap and everything in the car before going dark, again and again and again, punctured here and there by the lights of another car.

In my head, I was replaying everything that had happened in Italy. All the signs, all the warnings, everything... I'd just wanted to go home, and now it was too late.

Bash's memory had been altered and, if I was understanding things correctly, he now believed from the core of his mind that every moment we'd spent together had actually been spent with Jasper, whom he'd found in my apartment, terrified of him.

I didn't get it.

Minutes before that incident on the bridge, we'd been dancing together. Enjoying each other. Now? I felt alone, and afraid, and I yearned for him so deeply that it made me want to cry. It wasn't fair and I didn't know what to do. Tears rolled down my cheeks, unchecked and unheeded, dripping off my eyelashes as I stared out the window of the car, swaying back and forth as Leo changed lanes on the highway.

He'd come into the sitting room earlier looking like he was about to rip my head off.

Jun had, as promised, stopped him before he could... and an argument had ensued between them, mostly on the blonde's side. He'd been frustrated and disturbed by Jun's actions towards me, as if he couldn't believe what he was hearing, but in the end he'd somehow caved and practically dragged me outside after grabbing the keys to Sebastian's car.

I will, however, admit that I was blown away when, instead of being pulled to one of the vehicles parked along the gravel culdesac surrounding the decorative bird bath in front of the manor, I found myself being dragged off to the left and around the back towards what looked like a garage door. When the doors had come open, though, my heart flew up my throat because the floor of the interior building dropped into a huge metal ramp that led deep underground.

"What's this?" I'd asked, startled. "I've never seen this part of the house before."

Leo had simply given me a disgusted look and dragged me none-too-gently into what I was certain was the mother of all fucking underground car garages. My eyes had bugged out of my fucking skull, my jaw had dropped, and I'd only been able to stare stupidly because the dark cavernous space was bigger than the entire mansion and the surrounding property line. 

Moreover, it had to have been holding over three hundred vehicles, all pristine and shiny and clearly categorized by era, color, and company. 

"He has his very own Batcave for cars," I'd muttered, momentarily aching over the fact that Sebastian had never gotten the opportunity to show me this place himself. I'd wondered, long after I'd been shoved into the back of a 2063-make Silver Honda, if he had a thing for collecting vehicles as a personal hobby. It would have explained a lot about all the cars I'd seen so far.

But it was also ridiculous just how wealthy he was since that many cars was unnecessary. Unless you were immortal... and preferred machines over people, like... like my hypnotized, mentally possessed boyfriend.

By the time we'd pulled out of the garage and gotten onto actual roads, I'd been too far gone to do anything but cry my eyes out in silence.

Even now, I was gone, far away from myself as tears rolled freely down my cheeks and stained my skin raw with saline. They hadn't stopped for a while now, and although my eyes kept on crying I didn't speak or make a single sound because there was really nothing to say. My heart was stuck in limbo. I hadn't even been given the luxury of having it ripped out.