Chapter 167

Chapter One Hundred and Sixty Seven

Cassidy was a mess.

Her dark hair was hanging in damp tendrils around her thin cheeks, lips pursed and sharp nose crinkled as she leaned against the open wall of the isolation room. She was tapping her foot with her arms folded as I approached, watching me.

"Have things calmed down upstairs?" she tartly asked, raising an eyebrow. "You know, enough for Diana and I to not get manhandled?"

"Yes," I mumbled, peering into the room; Sebastian was still chained up, but my eyes went wide with horror when I saw that the entire left side of the wall he was chained to had been stained with a spray of dark red, and that redness had completely ruined the carpet beneath him.

"He's fine," she told me, and I glanced at her clothes, realizing almost immediately that the entire back of her shirt was covered in his blood, as if it had sprayed on her while she'd been facing away. "We managed to get his hand... reattached properly, and it healed, so... well, let's just say, I think you two should keep an eye on it to see if he has any problems with mobility."

"He really ripped his own hand off?" I demanded, stunned. "Trying to get out?"

"Let's just say I've never wanted to puke that badly in my whole damn life," she muttered, swallowing hard as a bizarre green tint passed over her features. "If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go take a shower to wash this crud out of my hair. The cameras are off, to give you privacy now that he's calm... you do have your phone, right?"

"In my pocket," I said, patting it.

"Well, I'll leave you to it, then," she snorted, crisply straightening her bloody blouse before tapping something to her right and walking away; the hidden door clunked and immediately began to close, sealing me within the white room all over again.

"Aerin?" Bash rasped, and I jerked, turning to see that he was looking at me through glazed, half-lidded eyes. An expression of sleepy wonder laced his handsome features as I made my way over to him, looking at his sweat-soaked body and plastered curls. Bags lay beneath his eyes and his features seemed somewhat gaunt. The towel covering his indecency jerked and a tent formed.

"Hi, Baby," I softly greeted, smothering a laugh at the instantaneous reaction. "How are you--"

"Come here," he begged, breathing in a shaky breath that was completely unlike him. "Please. I have been having... hellish... nightmares. I need to touch you. I need you. Please, Beloved, come here and just... touch me? Lean against me?"

I blinked, but something inside my heart immediately melted and I obediently did as he asked, turning around and sitting down against the wall before leaning into his massive side. My head came to rest in the damp crook of his arm, but I didn't give a single fuck.

I breathed in the scent of him, realizing with a jolt that I'd missed it.

Such a short amount of time with him not being there and I'd missed everything. He let out a soft sound and I looked up to see pain in his eyes, a glaze that hinted at tears, but there were none to really be seen. My heart cracked and I immediately twisted, touching his cheek.

"What's wrong?" I whispered. "I heard about what happened with your hand, Baby... why would you do that?"

"Jasper," he whispered, swallowing the name as if it were ash. "I was having nightmares about what Jasper made me do to you, I couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't, they wouldn't go get you so I thought I... I... fuck. I'm a fool."

"No," I murmured, and he turned as much as his collar would allow him, amber eyes flitting to my face; I slowly reached up, setting my hand on his cheek even as I rose to my knees and gently straddled him, being careful not to rub him too much. He stared at me with eyes that were definitely not lucid... he looked like he'd been very heavily drugged.