Chapter 47

Note: Aaron is in the hospital again, so I'm posting the chapter he wrote beforehand at his request. He's going through a rough patch right now, but he'll be fine and he wants me to pass along the message that everything is fine and that he apologizes for the delays on his work and his collaborations. --Scarlett Ledgers

_________________

Chapter Forty Seven

Getting unpacked and settled in didn't take me as long as I'd thought it would, nor did showering and changing into a soft blue sweater and an even softer pair of silky beige leisure shorts, courtesy of the shopping trip I'd taken to the mall.

Now, I was doing research.

The entire time I'd been staying in Sebastian's home, so much had been going on all around me at every single moment of the day that I hadn't so much as thought to turn on my laptop and figure out where the hell in North Carolina I really was.

As it turned out, Sebastian's house was located somewhere around Wilmington, which was about three hours away from Woody's cabin. Something, however, didn't make sense to me and that was why Woody had been so close to Sebastian's house in the first place.

When Cassidy and I had been abducted, we hadn't been carried very far from the house since it had only taken twenty minutes of being carried to end up on the driveway. I leaned back on the bed with a sigh through my nose, running a hand through my damp hair.

"Was he on a hunting trip or something?" I wondered. "I'll have to ask him since we're actually farther from Sebastian's place than I thought we were going to be."

Although, at the very least, I now had an address to work with.

I had a lot of questions, but before anything else would be said or done, I opened Skype on my computer and called Louise, despite the late hour. It took six rings for her to pick up, and when she did her face was very groggy-looking and her hair was a mess.

She squinted at her screen, looking barely awake.

"Aerin?" she mumbled, blinking sleepily. "Is everything all right?"

"Sorry if I woke you up," I said a little uncertainly, but she shook her head.

"It's fine. What's up?"

I sighed and let my head thump back against the wall, breathing in the unfamiliar smells.

"What isn't?" I dazedly fired back. "I'm out of Sebastian's house, and instead I've moved in with a hybrid who speaks using sign language because his voice can kill people."

Her eyes popped open and she stared at me, instantly awake.

"What?" she demanded, and I saw the screen jiggle as she moved to sit up; I caught a glimpse of pink teddy bears on a white spaghetti-strap nightgown before her face reappeared. "What's going on? What happened?"

I swallowed hard, thinking about that.

"To be honest?" I said slowly. "I don't even know. There was some sort of attack..."

I went on a tangent, explaining in depth everything that had happened since our last call, from the mundane to the severe, even about Cassidy leaving me for dead and Woody's rescue, the way he'd tended to me, and then what had come after I'd returned, with great detail on how Sebastian had reacted to seeing me alive, and how he'd crumbled when I'd told him I was leaving. I didn't leave anything out, I explained every single thing that I could remember.