Chapter 102

Author's Note: For those of you itching for a taste of what the dreams mean about his past, look at the mini trailer below for an idea. Let your imaginations run wild with the visuals.

____________________

Chapter One Hundred and Two

Flashes. Distorted lights swirled around me like mist. Muted voices and sound I could barely hear. I flitted through a pulse of foreign sensations and sank down into them slowly.

"Aerin..."

"Yeah?"

"You look like a girl... you're dressed like one, too. Are you... gay?"

"You just now figured that out?"

"No... no, deep down I think I always knew."

"Huh... so... is that why you left us?"

Silence. Swirling lights.

Something blue glinted wetly.

"No... it isn't."

"Then why are you here now?"

"Because... I saw you... smoking."

"Oh, that? Yeah... I'm trying it out."

"But, but your lungs--"

"What do you care if it kills me?"

Again, that damned silence. Only, it wasn't complety silent, there was other noise and flashing.

"Because I love you."

"Love you, too."

"Then stop. Take care of yourself... you know what smoking will do to you."

"I'll think about it."

A lie. I felt it. I was lying.

Deep down, I wanted to die. I was exhausted and sad and alone, fighting a losing battle but too scared to give in and take the plunge myself. So why not lose gradually? Go easily? Smoking would do it within a year.

"I have something else I want to ask you."

"Okay? Ask then."

"Do you... hate me?"

Hate?

Hate... no... that word, that question, I didn't. I really didn't.

The vision of a familiar face flickered into my view and blurred strangely, a face I numbly realized belonged to my long-dead father. His features were fuzzy and hard to see, and as I took them in I dazedly became more aware of my surroundings, realizing that the two of us were sitting in the nightclub I'd met William in.

I looked at my father from where we were sitting, at the bar, our faces and features highlighted by the multicolored laser-light strobes, wondering why I was here, why he was here.

Why was he asking me if I hated him? And... and he had died years before I'd met William, so how did I know that name?

What the hell was happening?