A Christmas Tree Farm

Beginne am Anfang

He rubbed the side of my teddy coat sleeve. "I know, I worry about you. I try to parent you instead of being a big brother. If I can protect you from something I'm going to try to, with everything in me. You don't need me to though. I have to accept that."

I linked arms with him, "I do need you. All of your advice is taken into consideration. Maybe you can just be a little nicer when you give it."

"I appreciate you saying that. When Dad moved out, I knew I had to step up but I'm not dad. It wasn't right of me to tell you what to do. I'm sorry," his nose was starting to run.

"I respect you for that." I hesitated to ask, but I decided to anyway. "Is there anything else about Banks that disparages you?"

He stared at our feet as we walked. "I think I said everything, and if that doesn't scare you off, I don't know what will."

Jokingly I exclaimed, "He has the perfect comeback for everything I throw at him! He can charm his way out of a black hole!"

The wrinkles on his forehead became less defined, "He sure can."

From the distance, we could hear Mom instruct, "Kids come back!" We stopped in front of a Pine tree.

"Mother calls," Denny observed.

She hopped over to a Noble Fir and caressed the leaves, "What do you think of this one."

"It's a tree, a full one," I bumped him with my hip after that sly comment.

Just to spite him I remarked, "Well, I think it should be in our house."

She clapped her hands, "I love this one too. Hansen said that he would tie it up to his truck, and bring it home for us," she motioned toward Hansen.

After shaking his hand for longer than a normal person I remembered to say, "Oh, hey my name is Daya."

"Dennis," Denny curtly shook his hand with no joy on his face.

"Your mother speaks very highly of you both," he bellowed with a smooth but deep voice.

She hugged us both at the same time, "They are my pride and joy." She held our gaze for a few seconds each, "It has been an honor raising them."

Hansen reached behind him and unveiled an adorable little girl. "This is Sarai. She's a bit shy."
She peeked out from behind his legs and gave a little wave. I had a feeling we would be seeing more of them, and I wasn't sure how I felt about it.

We walked around the farm, went on a hayride, and danced around for about two more hours before we left. "I knew you would enjoy it," she burst.

"It wasn't that bad," Dennis sped down the road.

"I enjoyed myself," I approved. "Do you want to tell us who the oh-so-good-looking Mr. Hansen is?"

The ghost of a smile danced across her face. "He is... an old friend from high school. I haven't seen him for over a year, but I haven't been out much like you said earlier. It was nice to see him again, and especially nice of him to bring our tree home."

After we got home, Hansen helped us set up the tree. "Oh, I haven't even thought about where I would place the tree. Where do you think is a good place, Daya?"

I surveyed the area. "In front of the window by the door," I pointed to that spot.

It was the spot Dad always put it. Sarai walked inside and stood beside me. She looked up at me with a smile. I always was good with kids.

"Good, it's close. This tree is heavy and we don't want to break Hansen's back." Mom, Sarai, and I moved out of the way.

That was one of the first moments I saw her genuinely happy. Not just faking it for my sake or because that's how she should feel. She was ecstatic to be doing the little things again. "We should start decorating now, so we can have the lights on tonight."