It Went Downhill

*Banks*

*Banks*

I turned toward the door, and Banks brushed his fingertips against mine like we're in some kind of romance movie or something. My eyes gravitated towards him and I wanted to gaze into his blue eyes again, yet I kept my eyes forward and headed straight for the door.

The cool, brisk air of the night slid over my face and slight snow flurries came down from the deepened blue sky. A few seconds later, Piper came outside and parked her butt in the car and wouldn't say a word to me.

When we got inside, Piper took no time to confront me. "God, after everything she told you, you go ahead and do that!" Her hands made contact with the steering wheel like it needed to be beaten. I twisted my body in the seat so I could look at her in the eyes.

"She left me alone with him. I thought it was completely innocent... until it wasn't."

"He was touching you and holding your hand and-," I interjected.

"I- I know and I should've stopped him, but you know how he is. He made me feel so... I don't know. It was hard to push him away."

"Cece cried on your shoulder and talked to you about how much she liked him."

I sighed, "Yes, but you said to give him space and let him come back to her. Well, he came to me. I didn't force him, and he didn't talk about her or even look that way! Celia even said that he flirts with everyone! I wasn't trying to," my words fizzled out into a grunt.

Piper stopped at a stop sign, "I didn't tell Celia this, but I know, for a fact, that he isn't into her like that. I know that he doesn't like her. Celia knows that's in the back of her mind too. But still, she's not ready to see him move on, especially with someone she considers a friend, Daya."

A honk from the car behind us made me jump in my seat and Piper started driving again. "I thought you wanted to take a break from dudes." Piper was speaking very calmly towards me even though I could tell she was still fired up.

"I need to, but he just snuck up on me. I still don't know what I'm going to do about Jay. I'll tell Banks that I need time alone. I'll tell Jay and Brian. I might as well write it on my forehead and save my breath." I threw myself against the back of the seat.

We pulled up to my house and I traded the drama I walked away from for the family emergency that was happening at home.

"I'll see you tomorrow. Tell Celia I'm genuinely sorry. She's not going to listen to me."

"I will. Good luck Day." She saluted me before speeding off into the night.

I walked into my house expecting for the walls to crumble into debris and for the house to have imploded. But not a hair was out of place.

"Mom," everything seemed so still and silent, like it was someone else's house.

There were no unanticipated cars in the yard and everything was in the same place as when I left. The bottom half of the house was turned off, completely dead. I left my coat at the door and headed upstairs where the source of the emergency must be. When I walked into my mom's room I saw her softly crying on the bed with Dennis rubbing her shoulder.