"Fuck!"

I basically sprint to the door while attempting to pull my shoes onto my feet, shoving past my mom. If she sees Mason, I'm dead.

"In a rush?" she looks at me, raising an eyebrow.

"Yep. You know Jess, always wants to be early." I lie, my voice comes out high pitched and obvious. That couldn't be any less Jess, she's always late—even to her own birthdays. Why am I such an awful liar?

"Mhm." she shakes her head as I close the door behind me.

As I get into Mason's car he greets me with a warm smile, his shirt is tight and unbuttoned almost half of the way down, I pull my eyes away before he notices me checking him out. What the hell Amara?

"So how did you actually get my number?" I start a conversation to avoid me awkwardly staring at his chest.

"I pestered Jake till he gave me it." he smiles a little.

"Jacob? He gave you it?" I laugh at the thought of Mason asking him for my number, I would've payed to see that.

"What's so funny?" he asks, his brow crinkled.

"Nothing." I shrug, biting my lip to stop myself laughing again.

"I told him I needed to return something to you."

"Oh." I mutter, why is it so hard for Mason to just tell people we're friends?

"I don't mean it like that, I just didn't want him to get the wrong idea." he keeps his eyes on the road.

The wrong idea? Since when does he care what Jacob thinks?

"So where are we going?" I change the subject, again. I hate tension.

"A park."

"A park?" I ask in confusion.

"Yes, a park." his voice is calm but his responses are short. Why does he have to react like this to everything?

"Okay."

I decide to just stay quiet the rest of the ride and wait till we arrive at this.. park.

"We're here." he breaks the silence, climbing out of the car and I follow.

"What are we even going to do at a park?" I ask, before realising how ungrateful I sounded.

"Sorry, I just meant-"

"It's fine." he cuts me off.

"I'll show you." his voice is softer than before, relieving a little bit of the tension in the already heavy air.

"Come on," he smiles and I follow him.

He stops just infront of a small metal gate.

"Okay, who first?" he asks.

"What are you talking about?"

"The gate, we have to climb over it." he chuckles.

"Oh, no way!" I yell, looking at the padlocked gate in front of us."

"Is that even legal? Its padlocked for a reason." I begin to ramble.

"What if people see us? Its daylight." I scoff, "I'm not climbing over a gate, no way."

"Amara." he sighs.

"It's worth it, trust me, okay?" he looks at me with reassuring eyes and I groan under my breath.

"Ugh, fine. But if we get caught, I'm not going to jail." I hold my hands up in defeat.

"Okay, if the cops come and arrest us for climbing over a fence, in a park, in daylight, I will be sure to tell them you're also a convicted plant murderer." he grins and I can see he's holding back a laugh.