Original Edition - Tip 50: Say Goodbye {Part 1}

Start from the beginning

"Danny, you're going too far-" Tita Gia tries to interrupt.

"No! If he wants to do something with his life, then he better speak up about it! Go ahead!"

There is silence.

"Exactly! So don't argue with me unless you have some other great plan yourself!"

Footsteps sound behind the door. I assume that it's James walking away. They get louder and louder and I start to back away from the door.

Apparently, I don't back away in enough time and when he very harshly opens the door, it slams right into my face.

"Ow!" I exclaim, holding my nose.

"Were you listening?" James asks, frustrated. I make that awkward cringe face before looking up to face him.

"What? No. I was looking for the washroom." I lie, still holding my nose.

"Bad liar." he comments, shaking his head before heading to the front door.

"James wait!" Tita Gia yells, running after him.

"Come back here!" Tito Danny orders, following Tita Gia.

James ignores both of them and flies straight through the front door, grabbing his coat from the coat rack.

"Leave him to me." I say, passing the couple and following James.

By the time I'm out the door, James is already turning the ignition of his car, ready to leave. I run up to his car and frantically tap the window.

"James! Stop! Open this door right now!" I yell.

He looks at me, then shakes his head. The window of the passenger seat rolls down and I stick my head through the window.

"I just need to clear my head, okay?" he sighs.

I can't really blame him for wanting that. The news was a huge, unexpected surprise. None of us are taking it well.

"Well I'm coming with you."

The sound of the door clicking lets me exhale. I step into the passenger seat and buckle my seatbelt. "So, where were you planning on going?"

He shrugs, "I don't know, I was just gonna drive around."

I suddenly remember his gift that I left at home. Maybe it would be an appropriate time to give it to him. I mean, it's not like I can keep it in my room forever.

"Wanna go back to my place? Just for a bit? I just gotta pick something up."

"I guess," he nods, driving along along the street in the direction of my house.

A few minutes later, we get to my driveway. We get out of his car and I open the door with my housekeys. We hear Milani's barking upon entering the pitch black house. I turn the lights on, lock the front door, and lead him up to my bedroom.

He takes a seat on my desk chair and I enter my closet, taking his present out.

Unwrapped, with only a red bow at the top, I hand him the acoustic guitar.

"Oh my God, Lara..." he breathes, taking the finely shaped wooden guitar in his hands.

"It's not high-end or anything, I just got it from a vintage shop. I tuned it too!" I tell him, suddenly feeling a bit nervous. "I bought it before everything happened."

"It's wonderful. Thank you." He stands up and pulls me in for a hug.

"Yeah, no problem. I figured you'd still remember how to play." I watch him hold the instrument in his hands and my mind goes back to simpler times.