Chapter 4: Detective Skyy

Chapter 4

When I got a glimpse of Lillianna at the bar I could not believe my eyes. I had seen her at the funeral earlier but seeing her at a party looking astonishing was completely different. She was dressed like a runway model. I could see every single cop looking her way and some married ones too. I was jealous for a reason I could not explained. I knew nothing about her yet she still intrigued me.

Then I witness Henry McFee hitting on her, which pissed me of. By the look on Lillianna's face she was not impressed by Henry's antic. My attempt to save the day only caused Lillianna to cry. Seeing her cry really did something to me. I hardly know her but it a pained me to see her so hurt.

There was something I could not resist about her. I wasn't sure what was going on with me but I had the sense I liked her more than I cared to admit. A part of me, the detective part just wanted to be her friend and protect her. I had no time for any serious relationships but I could use a friend and I was sure she could too. But another part of me, the part that's lonely wanted to get to know Lillianna more romantically. The problem with that was Lillianna strikes me as the type of girl who kept her distance form men. I was sure she had deep feelings for Conner that she did not care to admit. There was no chance she was into me.

"Fresh air will make you feel better," I informed her as she pulled away from me.

I lead Lillanna to the parking lot before she could have a complete melt down in front of every cop in the district. However, Lillianna was not convinced. She just looked at me like I was crazy with her eyes all red. I knew Conner's death was still affecting her. I had talked to Conner's sister and from what she told me, they were close friends.

"Just take some deep breaths." She was still giving me that crazy look. "It worked before," I pushed.

She took two deep breaths and then when I saw her crack a smile I started to smile myself.

"See."

"I'm only smiling because you have this funny look on your face," she said. "Like your hoping I won't freak out."

"Well as long as you're smiling so be it."

"Um Detective...."

"Just call me Skyy or Kyle," I cut in. "Most people call me Skyy," I added

"Okay why do people call you Skyy?" She questioned.

"I really don't know," I informed her. "I've been called Skyy since I was in grade school."

She nodded her head then asked, "What are you doing here?"

"I thought this thing was for police officer or do I have the wrong function," I joked and she actually laughed.

I'm not a funny guy but I think she just needed something to laugh at to take her mind off of Conner.

"I miss Conner," She blurted out as her laughs died down. "I shouldn't be laughing when he's gone," she added.

"I'm sure he would want you to continue on with your life," I informed her. Lillianna shrugged her shoulder. "We're you two dating?" I asked.

I was sure Lillianna hadn't dated anyone in years or has never dated anyone but I still felt the need to ask her about Conner. Conner's sister also informed me Conner was very much in love with Lillianna. I'm positive she had feelings for him, that's she's only now realizing.

I'm very good at analyzing people.

"No," she said as the tears started to pour out faster.

"You don't have to answer that question." I informed her.

"I wish he was here so we could see if we're compatible. I think I missed out love," She blurted out. "You never realize what you have until it's gone," she ended.

"I was told you know what you have you just never think you'll lose it," I told her.

"I have to get out here," Lillianna sobbed. "Can you give me a ride home?"

I was not going to deny more time with her. I simply nodded and lead the way to my truck.

She told me direction while on the phone angering with a female, who I'm sure was her sister. From what I heard, her sister was upset Lillianna left the party without even saying bye or telling her she was leaving.

By the time we reached Lillianna's house she had just got off the phone with her sister so I did not get to converse with her more. Conversation with her seemed very easy and I was enjoying it.

"I'll walk you to your door," I told her as I unstrapped my seat-belt.

"No I'm fine. I don't need you to do that."

I wasn't going to protest.

"Well I'm not leaving until you get in."

"Thank you," she said then got out the car.

I watched her walk to her door and make it safely inside.

Thirty minutes later I find myself in my office looking over the autopsy of Conner Marvel instead of returning to the party. Conner Marvel was most likely murdered. The autopsy showed blunt force trauma to the frontal lope. Therefore, whoever set the fire was still in the house when the firefighters arrived. How else would Conner obtain the blunt force trauma? Unless it was a firefighter who started the fire.

It aggravated me to think Lillianna was in the house at the same time the killer was. Something could have happened to her.

I had to catch this guy before someone else died. I was determined to make sure it was not Lillianna.

I listened to the 911 call over 100 times and still I came up short. There was nothing unusual or suspicious. The call only last 10 seconds and the person on the other end sound genuinely concerned. Either the fire stater was a good actor or the caller was someone else.

Between looking over files and thinking I fell asleep on my desk.

Around ten in the morning I woken up to Kingston yelling, "Fire, fire." I jump straight up to find Kingston laughing in my face. "Dude its called a bed," he informed me as I wiped my face.

"Yea I was looking at the autopsy report again." Kingston nodded his head then took a set in a chair. "I need to go home, take shower and change."

Kingston looked like he wanted to tell me something but he couldn't bring himself to tell me.

"Man what's up?" I asked.

"I wish you couldn't read my facial expressions so well."

"Kingston!"

"I know you're getting to involved in this case."

Kingston is right but I hope he didn't do something stupid, like get me put off this case. It didn't matter anyway because that wouldn't stop me.

"I think it has to do with that girl."

"Lillianna." I did not like him calling her 'that girl'.

"You have to stop this. If you want to solve this case you have to put your emotion aside."

I really didn't want to hear what he had to say about the case. My emotions were aside but I still wouldn't let anything bad happen to Lillianna.

"Fine." I said so he would get off my back.

I left him there to think to himself. I can't blame him for trying to put me in line because I would have done the same to him. He was absolutely right. I had to put my feelings aside to solve this case. If I don't someone could get hurt.