Chapter 18: Detective Skyy

Chapter 18

        Thanksgiving was fast approaching and I had no leads on this case. Two days ago there was another shooting at a fire scene. 2 firefighters and one cop died on the scene. Firefighters were no long the only targets, police officers are too. Nothing came back from the evidence collected from Lillianna. The only thing I’m sure of is the gun used in the crime.

        Whoever this person is, is good at cover his tracks. Anyone that good has to have gained that knowledge over time most likely working for the police force or military. I’m also convinced that the person is or was fire fighter, which leads me to believe these killings are a team effort. So far that’s all I know. Kingston hasn’t been very helpful either.

        It’s been two weeks and Lillianna still won’t talk to me. After the first week of silence from her I stopped by her house. That was a bad idea; she wouldn’t even let me in the door. Chief keeps giving me dirty looks and disapproval stares.

        “CSI found foot prints on the path next to the house,”

        I looked up to find the chief standing in my doorway. Those were the first words he’s said to me in weeks. I looked up from my file and stared at him. Somehow I knew he had more to say to me.

        Chief stepped in my office and closed the door behind him.

        “The footprints were sent off for analysis,” he informed me.

        “You came to my office just to tell me that,” I asked as politely as I could.

        “I went out to dinner with my sister yesterday.”

        I stared at him. I did not comprehend why dinner with his sister, I’m sure he was referring to Lillianna, mattered. She was not talking to me for reason unknown to me. I thought we were developing something or at least that’s what I wanted to happen. I don’t know. I’ve been out of the dating game for years now. I don’t understand how it works these days. Eventually would Lillianna talk to me? I was hoping she would.

        “I asked her about you and she got angry. It was the angriest I’ve ever seen her.”

        “Look Chief I swear I didn’t do anything to her. I don’t even know what’s wrong with her…” I tried to explain.

        “You did nothing wrong,” The chief cut in. “She overheard us talking in the hallway at the hospital.”

        That made a lot of sense. Now I understood her standoff behavior.

        “She claims you need to stay out of our family business and I argued with her.” I nodded my head. “I don’t tell people about my family business but you seem to care about Lillianna and you realized things about her I should have realized a long time ago. Last night I thought about what you said. Lillianna started to change when she was around 8. She used to be happy and cheerful and great everyone at the door. Then she would rather be alone then go out and play in the yard. She started ripping the heads off her dolls. I was around 16 at the time and I thought nothing of it until last night. I can’t believe I didn’t notice the signs before.”

        “Maybe you didn’t want to,” I cut in.

        “Yea. So Blake is lying.”

        “Yea.”

        “Why the hell would he lie?” Chief asked me.

        “I don’t know but he’s a pain in the ass. You know he’s a serial cheater?” I questioned.

        “Yea but Pam, his wife, doesn’t want me to intervene. Believe me when I first caught him with another girl I almost killed him. Pam wanted me to stay out of it.” The chief explained. “This family is not perfect but all we have is each other.”

        “I understand. At least you guys have each other,” I informed him.

        I would love to have my own dysfunctional family.

        “Look your good for my sister. Don’t give me the I told you so look.” I let out a laugh. “That does not mean I want you seeing her while you work on this case,” he ordered in a hard tone.

        “I can respect that but it’s not like your sister is speaking to me,” I informed he.

        “She’ll get over is. If you don’t have plans for Thanksgiving stop by my house. We do a big dinner and this year it’s at my house.”

        “Seriously?”

        “I was being nice but I was actually hoping you have your own family get together and therefore you won’t back it to mines.”

        I could tell the chief was joking but there was some truth to his joke.

        “I’ll be here in the office sir.”

        “Go home to your family Detective Skyy, that’s an order.”

        “I would gladly go home to my family if I had one.” The chief gave me a puzzled look. “My mom died when I was young and I bounced from foster home to foster home until I was 16.” I explained.

        “I never knew that.”

        “No one does.”

        “Well than please stop by and grab a plate.”

        “You don’t have to be nice I’ll be fine here at the office.”

        “I’m not asking.”

        “ok”