Chapter Ninety-Three | Third World

Start from the beginning

They were the only three who had undergone the experimentation and developed abilities. Although it was exactly what the military were currently fighting against, it didn't mean that people like Hansel were being shunned. It was the opposite, they were being highly considered in every decision made. No doubt Dr. Aksel was cracking the whip, but the Supreme Commander and those close in rank were always courteous, and ensured that nothing could hinder their well-being either physically or mentally.

For such a hostile setting, the individuals were surprisingly generous.

Roscoe's voice sounded in their earpieces, bringing Hansel out of his thoughts and focusing his attention back on the mission. There was no immediately noticeable change, as the large focal point of the building, which was the doors of the bunker, were still firmly shut. Only when looking off to the side, where Roscoe directed their attention to, was there a single door which had been propped open.

A suspicious and very convenient entrance to the building. No one moved; Roscoe making all the wise decisions of an elite soldier. He was the spitting image of Niklas when in an unpredictable environment. And even with blaring opportunity right in front of him, he didn't make a single order. So everyone stuck to their well-hidden positions.

Which is when a figure emerged from behind the opened door. After a few seconds, Roscoe's voice came through the radios. "He's a friendly. OK squad A will advance." Roscoe instructed and those around him jumped to their feet and jogged over to the building. Only when they reached the door did they pause for a few moments before disappearing inside. The friendly had also disappeared once again. From there, Roscoe signalled to the remainder of the group to follow.

When Hansel and the other two stepped forward, Roscoe joined them. "Remember, you three keep to the rear at all times. If shit hits the fan, then find an escape route and use it." He ordered, much to the displeasure of the three who felt insulted at the prospect of abandoning their comrades. But it wasn't the time to voice complaints, so Hansel complied for the three of them.

Upon entering the predominantly metal-cladded space, they were immediately submerged in darkness. They could only faintly see what was in front of them, and that was very little. Expecting the pitter-patter of footsteps from the squad up ahead, Roscoe tried to listen closely. When there was nothing to pick up on, he brought the group of four to a halt. Prior to the mission they had been shown the schematics of the entire building and how to short-circuit the mains in order to open the bunker's doors without needing various codes.

But all that meant nothing if they lost their bearings.

"What I'd give for night-vision, right now." Jakob startled Hansel by whispering into his ear. He wanted to shirk the man off, because his lips almost brushed the shell of his ear, but thought it probably wasn't best to attract attention to them by smacking the moron over the head.

"What's that smell?" Roscoe mumbled to himself as they started moving again. They stuck close enough so they were always in contact with each other as they progressed. As they did, the stench grew stronger and that's when Hansel realised why it was familiar.

Just like the other day, before freeing the scientists, he entered the confined space where a Rotter had previously been. As such, the hairs on his body stuck up as he suddenly became overly-sensitive to the surroundings. "Rotters." He said as quietly as he could. His throat felt like it was being constricted.

Everyone's bodies stiffened simultaneously. As a unit they then felt extremely vulnerable, having seemingly walked into a trap literally blind. "Backtrack, now!" Roscoe whispered aggressively as he looked ahead into the shadows.

Hansel happened to be the furthest back out of the group, and immediately retreated upon order. But that's when he heard the wheezing. A combination of someone struggling to breathe, all while growling. His hands shot out and he stopped the group's movements.