Episode 3: Every Nook and Cranny (pt 4)

"A what?"

"I call it, 'Operation: Pitfall'. It's when you make little holes in the ground and wait for people to come by to fall into it," Yū explained as a small smile of pride made its way across his face. James, on the other hand, looked skeptically at Yū's sense of confidence. "Do you do this all the time?" "Not really," Yū sighed, much to James' relief. "But it's quite fun to see other flailing around for help. But don't worry, they always get out...eventually." He snickered, face hid with a devious smile and squinted eyes. James could've sworn that he saw a few purple lines and a spark of mischief swept over Yū's face.

"How do people not see the hole, though?" James asked, still cautious about all of this. Yū sighed in disbelief at how slow James was in understanding this. "It's not that hard; all you have to do is make a hole, cover it with a thin layer of compacted dirt, and then it makes an 'x' on the ground." "What do you mean, 'It makes an "x" on the ground'? Are you just saying that some random 'x' appears out of nowhere when you cover a hole?" James questioned. Yū just stood there, surprised at how he never thought of that before. "Well, uh...yes, but actually no? It seems to do that whenever something is buried underneath, or whenever I make pitfalls. Surprisingly, nobody else takes notice of the x's."

James couldn't believe it. "That's just illogical. Next you will be telling me you can make pitfalls by planting some special seed that has an exclamation point on it."

Yū:

"ARE YOU FOR REAL?!"

"Never mind about that, we need to trap Lyle, right? And since I'm stuck in this knee scooter," Yū pointed out, swerving the handlebars left and right, "You're going to have to dig for me. I'll give you pointers along the way." He pulled a shovel from out of nowhere and handed it to James. James, holding the shovel in a bit of confusion, and started wondering how he got roped into this whole thing. This is so out-of-character, he thought as he took off his vest and rolled up his sleeves to get started. He glanced back at Yū.

"By any chance you don't have any of those, 'pitfall seeds,' right?" he asked.

"Nope."

----------LATER----------

"Okay, now that we're done--" What does he mean, "We"? James mentally interrupted. "All we have to do is wait and watch. But uh..."

He looked around as the scene pans out from the two of them, revealing James' major flaw.

"You didn't have to make so many."

It was true. There were pitfalls everywhere.

Despite that now him and James were basically in the middle of a labyrinth of traps surrounding them, Yū, ironically, was impressed; even he never made this many pitfalls in under half an hour, even with Treehut's specialized pitfall seeds. He just needed to tread carefully now; didn't want his bad ankle to get caught in one of these buggers.