Episode 2: The Spring Sports Fair (pt 1)

A new morning had arisen over the luscious town of Animal Village. For some it meant a new chance to catch bugs, go fishing, find fossils, live life to the fullest. For James, it meant going back to work for Tom Nook.

"Alright Jay-Jay, I'm headed out. Thanks for the pancakes; they were delicious!" James' sister, with her messy hair and blotches of flour all over her apron, waved back and wished her brother, "Good luck with your job today! You're gonna need it!"

James' eyebrows furrowed in confusion and disbelief at his sister's comment, wondering how she got to be so—to put in the nicest way possible—blunt.

"Uhh... thanks?" And with that, he went outside, closing the door behind him. He didn't even reach his mailbox before he heard a familiar voice addressing him. "So, you like the house then, hm?" James turned around and saw his employer/landlord Tom Nook, standing on the lawn. "Oh! Yes, it's a lovely house, though I do wish that it was a little bit bigger—not that I'm complaining." The raccoon simply laughed. "Oh, ho ho ho ho! I understand. It's not easy fitting 3 people inside such a small house (and to be honest, I never had that many residents living in the same house before). But like I told your sister yesterday, you can upgrade your house so that you can make even bigger, as much as possible."

James was excited about this; maybe then he wouldn't have to sleep in the living room anymore. "That's great! When can we start?"

"As soon as you pay off your smallish loan of 120,000 bells."

"Wait, WHAT?!"

------INTRO SONG------

------12:00 PM------

"♪Waves crashing down, upon the river's sweet sound. Woah woah woah, something's calling out to me...♪" James sang softly to himself while he swept the tile floor in the small convenience shop. There were no deliveries to be made today, and Ai, Tom Nook's other employee, had the day off, so it was just him. But he didn't mind; he loved it.

"James," the raccoon called. "Coming, Mr. Nook," James replied as he set the broom down. "Is there anything you need for me to do?" "Why yes. I need you to make a delivery to Ai. You see, the Spring Sports Fair is next week, and this year, we're going to have a soccer match." "So I've heard," said James. Tom Nook continued. "Since I'm sponsoring her team this year, I made an order to the Able Sisters for some sports shirts." He reached into his pocket and handed him a slip of paper with the order on it. "Once you're done, you can have the rest of the day off."

"Wow! Really?" James said excitedly. "Of course James. I think you should have some time to explore the town, make it your home. Have fun today. I'm a generous raccoon, yes?" 

I don't think that last bit was necessary, James commented, though internally. James put the order in his pocket and dashed out the door. "Thanks Mr. Nook! I'll see you tomorrow!" "See you then!" the raccoon shouted back. "And don't dilly dally with that order! Take care!" When James was out of earshot, Tom Nook sighed and muttered to himself, "I'm glad that that Ai suggested that he have half the day off, but now who will be in charge of the deliveries?" He looked around, seeing that there was no one else but him in there. "Looks like it's just me; just like old times, hmm Tom?"

--------Meanwhile--------

Ai walked down the dirt road, admiring the pine trees she had planted two years ago. The rays of the sun crept through the leaves, warming her joyous face, as a few butterflies flew by as if to greet her with their beauty. Although the spring day lavished itself upon her, begging her to reminisce in its splendor, she had to keep walking to complete her mission. She was determined to make her new neighbors as welcome as possible, and her little mind thought of the brilliant idea of including them in a practice game of soccer, which was being held at noon. It was the perfect icebreaker.