Chapter 74 - Why would you do that?

Michael's POV

Sara's captivity: 1 hour long

Philipp's voice was dead. "The house is empty, Michael."

My ears started ringing.

The hairs on my neck stood up.

"W-What?", I said breathlessly.

"She isn't in the house", Philipp started to sound more hysterical. "I've checked everywhere. Twice. Nothing!"

A cold sweat ran down my back.

"My car - is my car still there?", I yelled into the phone. Maybe she had gone out to buy something? Please don't let this be what I think it is!

"Let me check", I heard Philipp walk around. "It is. Oh god it is."

She hasn't answered me for hours and here I am, only checking now?

I'm such a fucking idiot!

"I'll check the neighborhood", Philipp said into my phone. "I'll call the others to see if she's around somewhere."

"Do that", I hung up and called Luca.

Without much, I immediately went to the point. "Sara's missing. I need you to locate her phone - now!"

Luca barely said yes when I hung up again.

I rushed into the living room. Everybody looked up to me.

Christine dropped the tray at my expression.

"I-I have to go, I'm sorry. She hasn't answered and Sara has disappeared suddenly - I think something happened to her!" I couldn't stand still. "I have to go home right now!"

I was by the door when I heard a "STOP!"

I turned around. "What!?", I barked nervously.

Dad jumped up. "I'll help you. Matthew, get me my keys." Dad dialed a number on his phone. Within a short few sentences, he instructed his private jet to pick us up at the airport. "Matthew, you must drive us to the airport right now."

I was anxious.

I couldn't breathe.

The fear choked me.

Why did I leave her behind? Why had I gone on my own? I was such an idiot, I should have never left her alone!

Dad's hand brushed up and down my back. "Now's not the time to feel regret, son. You couldn't have known."

I couldn't say anything to that. No word escaped my lips.

Why wouldn't Matthew drive faster?

Drive already. Drive drive drive.

Every second was counting right now.

My foot was tapping, bouncing, rapidly up and down.

"We'll get her back", dad firmly said.

Sara's captivity: almost 4 hours long

The door barely unlocked - I forced it open.

I ran inside, not taking off my shoes and dragging the mud all across the carpet and floors until I reached the first security monitor.

I typed in the rapidly long code. The system needed ages to load the footage.