Chapter 54 - Will you ... ?

Michael's POV

Sara's shoulders were still slumped when we arrived from home and I kind of felt bad for it. I couldn't just outright tell her what I had planned - I couldn't tell her that I wanted to propose. It would take all the romance away.

I nudged her as we carried the bags to the door.

"One day I will."

"Will you ... really?", Sara's eyes lit up.

I gave her a big smile and she cheered up again. "Soon or?"

"Won't tell you a thing missy", I shook my head.

The front door was opened by my oncle. Estelle stood by his legs and jumped excitedly on the spot. "Tatie oncle tatie oncle!", she chanted happily.

Victor held my eyes. "Is something the matter?"

"We found out the culprit."

"The culprit?", Sara's mother passed by, a cup of tea in her hands. She nervously fiddled with the string of the tea bag. "The one who beat my baby up?"

"The one who planned it, yes", I felt my face and shoulders slump together. "I'm so sorry Lejla."

"What for?", she went to us and cupped my face. "You brought her to the hospital, looked after her. I should thank you for taking care of her." She moved to her daughter and cupped her face too. "I'm just glad you are alright again - I should scold you from hiding everything from us, but I'm just relieved you are fine child."

"Sorry mama", Sara put her head on her mother's shoulder.

Marthe, Marie and Gerard got out the living room.

"Where's Amar?", I asked, pushing past them to put down the grocery bags.

"Here", he got out the kitchen.

"Leon, Rebecca?"

Two more heads peered out the living room.

"Good - everybody inside. We know who the culprit is and you all deserve an explanation."

Sara sat beside me and held my hand, meeting my eyes reassuringly.

"Our lawyer called", I said, still looking at my future Mrs. Then I stared into the room. Even the babies were quiet.

"As you know, we hired private detectives who snooped in their companies. Eleanor's. Nathaniel's. First, we positively confirmed Eleanor wrote those nasty headlines and wrote to newspapers to publish them. For a big sum, all of them did it. They were published under a different name to cover her identity."

I hesitated. "Eleanor called for no reason one time, in the midst of that, so that's why I had suspected her. Now I'm wondering if she might have done some bugging too."

Sara froze. "That one time she came over."

I nodded. "We were riled up. She could have done something in our panicked state without us noticing."

"Have you checked your computers for any bugging or hacking clues?", Victor asked.

"No, no I didn't", Michael got out his phone and his fingers flew over the screen. "How could I have forgotten that?"

"You two were besides yourself in worry, Sara was in pain and you were angry - you were too confused to think straight", Marthe patted his knee motherly. "It happened. At least you thought of it now."