3.04: chapter thirty-three

Start from the beginning

"Okay. That's fine," she agreed, and I stared at her in utter surprise, "It's his birthday, and what you're doing is really nice," I grinned and Elle went on, "but, um, I can't make it. Tell Edi happy birthday, though."

I grinned and kissed Elle's lips before pulling back, "You're the best, babe!"

I skated off the rink quickly then. I stumbled over to the bleachers, pulled off my skates and gear, and shoved it in my bag. I tugged on a hoodie, adjusted the drawstring on my sweatpants, and hoped up the bleachers to get to Edi. He sighed and looked at me, blue eyes widening when he saw the ridiculous grin on my face.

"Is everything okay?" he asked, stumbling forward when I wrapped my arm around his shoulders and led him out of the stadium.

My grin only widened and I nodded my head, ruffling Edi's blond hair, "Everything is perfect."

A half-hour later, and Edi and I were sitting in the parking lot to my apartment building. Jay had told me to wait until he came and set up the cake before I was supposed to come in with Edi. It was a bit awkward, though, considering I had to keep making up excuses to keep Edi in the car, and I was pretty sure he was getting suspicious.

"Scott," Edi groaned, propping his feet up on the dashboard, only to have me slap them off, "Can we go inside? Your car kind of smells like shit."

I discreetly kicked a coffee cup under my seat and frowned, tugging my phone out of my pocket, "Uh, let me check if Connor got Miguel out of the toilet real quick." I muttered, mentally kicking myself for thinking up such a fucking bad excuse.

I unlocked my phone, a relieved grin coming onto my lips when I saw that Jay had texted me.

From Jay:

the crow flies at midnight [a.k.a. the crow (edi) is safe to fly into your apartment)

I rolled my eyes and unlocked the doors, ushering Edi out of the apartment. He grinned and we all but sprinted to the apartment. Edi asked why I was in such a hurry and I just waved my hand and pushed him into the elevator, telling him to shut up. Edi held up his hands and frowned, leaning against the wall.

The second the elevator doors opened, I wrapped my arm around Edi's shoulders and pulled him out. Edi yelped and I laughed, pulling him down the hallway with me. Edi ducked under my arm and I rolled my eyes, stopping in front of my apartment door and knocking.

"Dude, why are you knocking?" Edi asked, stepping back from the door and standing next to me. He frowned and twisted his fingers together.

I scratched the back of my neck and grimaced, shrugging at him, "I forgot my keys."

Edi's eyebrows furrowed together, blue eyes narrowing down at my sweatpants pockets, "Scott, your keys are in your pocket."

Edi was cut off by the door being thrown open. I stepped inside next to Kelly, and Connor. Jay, Kelly, and I screamed out a, 'happy birthday!' Edi's face went red, a huge grin breaking out onto his lips. Edi walked forward and, somehow, we all ended up in a huge group hug, Edi quietly thanking us again and again.

We all pulled apart and Connor grinned widely, brown eyes sparkling, "That was fucking great," he said, and Jay nodded, fist-bumping him.

"Your face, man," Jay laughed, and wrapped an arm around Edi's shoulder, pulling him in. Edi's eyes widened at the decorations strewn around the apartment (Connor had done really good), and Jay smirked, "I know, I know. I'm kind of an amazing decorater."

Con's eyes widened and he shook his head, "You little shit - "

"Cake?" Kelly asked, lacing her fingers with Con. Connor's eyes went back to normal and he grinned, following Jay and Edi into the kitchen.