0.07: chapter six

S C O T T

The first thing I did that morning was go in the bathroom to check on my nose.

I cursed when I saw my reflection. My nose was bright red, the tip purple from where it had smashed into the ice. I knew it wasn't broken, but it looked absolutely ridiculous. Groaning, I gently prodded my nose; wincing and pulling back at how badly it stung.

I slammed the bathroom door shut and got dressed quickly, refusing to think about how ridiculous my nose looked. I had gotten plenty of injuries during my years of playing hockey - it was almost impossible to never get an injury. But I never busted my nose up so bad that it looked like a squashed plum.

Sighing, I grabbed my hockey bag and slipped out the front door of the apartment. I cursed when I saw that it was one-thirty. I eyed the elevator - which was one of the slowest fucking elevators in Canada - and shook my head, knowing I didn't have enough time to wait for it. Another dramatic groan left my lips and I turned to the left, tossing open the door to the stairs.

I thanked God that the apartment was only on the third floor as I ran down the steps, my shoes slapping against each step. My bag kept catching on the rails with every turn, and by the time I got to the bottom - tired and annoyed - I was prepared to just skip practice and nap on the floor.

I shook my head, ruling the idea out right away. As tempting as it might have been, I really couldn't miss practice, especially not after I had sat the previous one out. Plus, truthfully, I was a bit excited to see Elle. She had been so different yesterday, and I wanted to see if she was going to act the same way today.

I stopped in front of my car. Narrowing my eyes, I dropped my bag onto the ground and took a few steps forward, eyeing the windshield. There was a stuffed-dog taped to the glass, with a Post-It note below it. I bit my lip and snatched off the note, immediately recognizing the messy scrawl.

I'm a Marlie! Good luck at practice Scotty, love Connor ;)

I rolled my eyes and leaned forward again, plucking the light-colored bear off my windshield. I laughed when I noticed the dog was wearing a Marlies jersey. The Marlies' mascot was Duke the Dog, and I grinned when I noticed that's exactly the animal Connor taped on my car.

I laughed and got into my car. Opening the glove compartment, I stuffed the bear and the note into it. That was such a Connor thing to do; he was so convinced I was going to make the hockey team, that he would tape the mascot to the windshield. Hell, he even bought a Marlies jersey the other day.

It only took about fifteen minutes to get to the stadium, but I rushed out of my car, not wanting to take a chance at being late. Running a hand quickly through my hair, I grabbed my bag and sprinted into the building. It took me a good five minutes to find my way through the ice, since I hadn't bothered to use the signs that were taped to the wall. Which, proved to be a mistake, since the building was confusing as hell.

I sighed in relief when I saw everyone hanging around the bleachers, skates next to them. Coach Monroe wasn't in site and I let out another sigh, dropping onto a bleacher, bag next to me. I kicked off my shoes and looked around, spotting Elle's familiar blonde-head quickly.

I quirked an eyebrow when I saw she was talking to one of the guys on the team. I didn't know his name, but he was grinning widely and leaning in. Elle rolled her eyes and stood up from the bench, shooting him a glare. I leaned forward, trying to hear what they were saying. I couldn't catch anything, but judging from the fact the guy was grinning so widely, I guessed he was trying to flirt.

"I swear to God," Elle suddenly snapped at him, and the smile fell off his face, "if you don't leave me alone, I'm going to shove that hockey stick so far up your ass it's going to come out your fucking nose."