3.06: chapter thirty-five

S C O T T

I was bad with apologies.

Usually, I just waited for a problem to blow over. If that didn't work, then I'd somehow find a way out of it. But I had never been particularly good with apologies. I never knew the right words to say, or how to make it sound sincere.

That was why I had planned my apology for Elle perfectly.

I pulled up to Elle's house, grateful when I saw that there were no cars parked, except for hers. I quickly got out of my car, holding the boquet of roses and stuffed animal tightly in my hands. I bit my lip and walked up the driveway, wondering how to do this. I could've always gone the cheesy route and threw pebbles at her windows, but they'd probably end up cracking the window, and I didn't have the money to pay for broken windows.

I tugged on the collar of my shirt and knocked on her door. I rocked back and forth on my heels, waiting for Elle to open the door. I paused, hoping that she wasn't asleep or something. Angry Elle was already hard enough to deal with, but angry and tired Elle would be something else entirely.

I didn't get much time to worry, though, because soon the door swung open. I took a few steps back and grinned at Elle, who's green eyes widened slightly. She frowned and looked up at me and I attempted to discreetly hide the stuffed animal behind my back. Elle's eyes travelled down to my arm and I cleared my throat, catching her attention.

"Hi," I said, and Elle just nodded her head, "Um, can I come in?" I paused and Elle held the door open, "Cool, cool. Thank you."

I walked inside and Elle shut the door behind her, turning to me. She didn't really look mad, anymore. If anything, she looked tired and kind of sad. And I hated that. I hated that this stupid argument had gotten dragged out, and now Elle just seemed blatantly upset and I absolutely hated it.

"I went to the flower shop," I blurted out, holding out the bundle of red roses in my hand, "I didn't know which kind of flowers you liked best - I didn't even know if you have a favorite flower - so I picked out these. I mean, they smell, like, really good. I promise."

A small smile tugged on Elle's lips and I smiled back, handing her the roses. Elle sniffed the roses and a ridiculous grin broke out on her face. My own lips tugged into a grin and I scratched the back of my neck, taking a deep breath. So far, my plan was going amazingly. I mean, I considered it going good since she let me in the house, honestly.

"Thanks, Scott," Elle smiled up at me, and I grinned back down at her, "I mean, my favorite flowers are lilies, but these are good, too."

My eyes widened and Elle busted out in laughter. I scowled at her and Elle just smirked back at me, and that was great. I missed the Elle that would smirk at me and mess with me and make stupid jokes. It had only been a few days, but I missed it.

"I know you were mad - or, maybe still are. I actually don't know," I frowned, cheeks flushing lightly. I swallowed and brought the stuffed animal out from behind my back, "But I really, really like you, Elle. And this was really cute, like you."

I handed over the stuffed animal.

It was a stuffed dog - Duke the dog, the Marlies' mascot. I had whited-out the name on the back of the small jersey, and scrawled, 'Scott + Elle' on the back, instead. I knew it was cheesy, but I played on the Marlies, and Elle basically came to every practice, so it just fit. Plus Elle was holding the stuffed dog tightly, and I knew I'd made the right move by buying it.

Elle looked back up at me, and I smiled back at her. Any traces of anger or sadness had completely disappeared from her face, and a genuine smile broke out on her face. She set the roses down on the table, held Duke in one hand, and walked forward, wrapping her arms around my torso. My eyes widened and then I grinned, instantly reaching forward and wounding my arms around her waist.