0.06: chapter five

S C O T T

"What the fuck are you actually doing?" Connor asked, leaning forward and poking my menu.

I growled and pulled it closer to my face, slouching down in my seat to stay hidden, "Shut up and - er, look for something to eat."

I peeked out the side of my menu and saw Elle off to the side, talking to a girl behind the counter. I turned a bit to the left, bringing my menu with me, and eyed her out of the corner of my eyes. Out of all the crappy restaurants in Toronto - out of all the restaurants - she had to show up at the same one as me.

Elle turned towards the exit and I sighed, dropping my menu back down onto the table. It wasn't that I was particularly mad that she was at the same restaurant. I was just still annoyed with what she said earlier, and I wasn't in the mood to talk to her. I didn't want to hear her offer me lessons again.

I looked up, making sure that she had left. Big mistake.

Elle turned the second I lifted my head and her eyes locked on mine. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion and, for a split second, I thought about ducking behind my menu again. But I didn't have time. She smiled and started making her way through the crowd, waving off a confused waitress as she walked to Connor and I's table.

I didn't have time to do anything - like bolt out of the restaurant - before Elle appeared next to my table. She cleared her throat and smiled, and I gave her a small smile back. Connor furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, eyes locked on me. I bit my lip and suddenly his eyes went wide in understanding.

"Hi," she said, lips drawn up in an uncomfortable smile. She ran her fingers through her hair and leaned against the edge of the sparkling table, "What're you doing here?"

"Eating," I deadpanned. Elle's face fell and I felt guilty, because I had been a bit rude. I sighed and scratched the back of my neck, frowning slightly, "like - it was a new restaurant, so Connor and I figured we'd try it out."

Elle smiled and turned to Connor, "I'm Elle."

Connor grinned wickedly and flashed me a smirk before turning back to Elle, "Oh, I know. Scott's told me a lot - "

I was saved by whatever Connor was going to say but someone shouting his name. I leaned forward and saw Kelly grinning and waving towards us. I laughed as she made her way towards us, ducking in between people and muttering out a lot of apologies. She groaned and stopped next to our table, eyes landing on Elle. She furrowed her eyebrows like Con had.

Instead of saying anything, Kelly just bumped Connor's shoulder and said, "Move, asshole" prompting him to slide over in the bench. Connor laughed but reluctantly slid over, cheeks stained red. I smirked at the two.

Silence fell over us and I looked over at Kelly, who discretly nodded her head towards Elle. I turned and saw Elle; she was still standing by the table, an uncomfortable expression on her face as she waited to see if she should stay, or go. I had seen a lot of sides of Elle Monroe, but uncomfortable and unsure was a new one.

"Oh," I said awkwardly, scratching the back of my head and ruffling my hair, "this is Elle Monroe, and that's Connor - " I pointed to a grinning Connor, and then Kelly, " - and that's Kelly."

Kelly smiled up at her, blue eyes sparkling, "Nice to meet you!" she said, and another genuine smile broke out on Elle's face, "Sorry if we're keeping you from eating."

Elle shrugged, "It's fine. I wasn't eating, anyway. My friend just got a job here, so I came to visit her."

Before I could say anything (even though I didn't really have anything to say. The silence was just killing me), Connor piped up and said something that made me want to lunge over the table and stab him with my fork.