4.00: chapter thirty-nine

S C O T T

(this is the last chapter oH MY GOD I LOVE YOU ALL ((but btw there's an epilogue too))

"Wilson?" I frowned and looked down at my phone, blocking out the voice calling my name, "Scott! What have I told you about texting my daughter five minutes before a damn game?"

My head shot up, eyes wide as Coach Monroe glared at me. The whole team shouted out a chorus of, "don't text her!" and my cheeks flamed in embarrassment. I shoved my phone down on the bench, prepared to listen in on the conversation, but Jay's voice cut everyone off.

"What about sexting?" Jay asked and grinned, and my eyes widened in horror, "As far as I know, you never said that was off limits."

I was two seconds from murdering Jay, "Shut the fuck up."

"That's not a very captain-like response, Scotty," Jay replied, pointing a finger at the white C on my jersey.

In the past few months, so much had changed. One major thing being that Coach Monroe had made me team captain. And, well, truthfully, not that much had changed. Connor had (finally) told Kelly he loved her, and things were still going smoothly with Elle. And we were ten minutes from playing our last game of the season.

Things changed, but they were also still amazing.

"Before Jay says another idiotic thing," Monroe said, sending a pointed glare at a grinning Jay, "Let's get one thing straight. You boys did amazing this season, and I'm proud to call you my team. Through almost losing a tooth," Monroe grinned at Edi, referring back to a incident where Edi blocked the puck with his face, "to Grant almost breaking his stick on the ice, it's been an amazing season!"

We all cheered an agreement, and an incredibly wide smile broke out on my face. Edi drummed his stick on the ground, and our cheers only intensified, pretty damn close to matching the ones out in the audience. As ecstatic as they felt, I was sure my excitement topped theirs.

It was insane to think that I was about to play my last game of the season for the Marlies, as team captain. It was insane and amazing to think back throughout the season; I could still remember my first game, with Kelly, Connor, and Elle in the benches, cheering louder than anyone else. It was absolutely insane to think that it had only been a few months back.

The most insane thing, though, was to think that, only a few months ago, Elle had been offering me help that I quickly shot down. It was insane to think that our relationship had progressed so far; I had gone from ducking behind restaurant menus to avoid her, to sending her goodmorning and goodnight texts. That was insane to think about.

I could feel my phone vibrating under me - probably all with texts from Connor, Elle, and Kelly - but I just sat there, the same ridiculous grin on my face. Monroe was running through plays and advice, and hyping everyone up for the game.

When the timer went off, we all got up, walking out of the locker room in pairs of two. Edi slid up next to me, a wide grin on his face and I just grinned back. I was practically shaking with nerves, but I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. It didn't matter how nervous I was before a game, the excitement always overrode it.

We skated across the ice a few times, and I couldn't help but laugh every time Elle and Connor blew kisses my way. Miraculously, Elle, Connor, and Kelly had already gotten seats right in the front, and they were using that to their advantage. Kelly and Elle were holding up a sign as high as they could, and Connor was practically half-way over the bench barriers.

We all filed into the bench, as Monroe continued to say how we could easily bet them (Rockford Icehogs) and that we would win and make it into the championship.