• Driving Shenanigans (Off The Wall Era) •

Off The Wall Era, 1979

"Y/N! Thank God you're here!"

You were used to Michael, your boyfriend of 2 years now, greeting you with enthusiasm at the front door of the family's Hayvenhurst home. Today, however, you had a feeling that making yourself available wasn't such a good idea, no matter how much you loved Michael.

"Well hello to you too!" you replied jokily, your playful tone laced with genuine confusion.

Michael was used to, and loved, your sarcastic side, and nothing could cause his beaming smile- the kind that made his eyes crinkle and sparkle- to falter. Not even the brotherly slap on his shoulder that he received from Marlon; he was busy eating a slice of toast, held in the same hand that he now slung lazily over Michael's shoulder, who looked down at the half-eaten, marmalade-y snack with a look of vague disgust.

"Y/N! How you been, girl?" Marlon grinned, making no attempt to avoid getting crumbs all over Michael's shirt. You pressed your lips together, trying not to laugh, as you saw the impatient side of Michael that was, pretty much, always saved exclusively for moments like this with his older brother.

"Geez, say it, don't spray it Marlon!" he sighed as he brushed off the crumbs with a screwed up facial expression. The sound of your giggling, however, caused his eyes to snap over to you, a playful smirk lighting up his face as he shook his head.

"You sounded surprised that I'm here..." you trailed off with a mischievous tone, and an even more mischievous expression on your face.

"Surprised? No- we've been planning this all week, silly!" Michael chuckled, to which you reciprocated, "but relieved, yes..."

"Why? What's happened?" you asked, suddenly worried.

"Let me take the reigns here, Mike" Marlon butted in, trying to squeeze his shoulder between Michael's and the doorframe, leaning forward. Michael gave him a dead-panned expression and made no attempt to move his body even an inch to the side, resulting in Marlon becoming stuck in a strange sideways, leant forward stance, his breakfast still shedding crumbs on Michael's light purple shirt.

"Bill's on vacation and... Mike's hungry for donuts" Marlon continued, shielding the side of his mouth closest to Michael and lowering his voice after a short pause.

Your eyes flicked between the brothers, Michael now slowly folding his arms across his chest as he rolled his eyes. Marlon grinned, triumphant in further irritating his younger brother, soon going ahead and taking another bite of toast.

"Okay, so how come you didn't just drive with one of your brothers?" you asked Michael in a soft, yet confused tone, knowing that he wasn't allowed to go alone as he still had yet to take a driving test.

"Well, I-"

"-There was a little incident, ya see- Mike thought he had the car in 'drive', but it was actually in 'reverse' and he-"

"-Marlon, why are you still here?" Michael sighed, irritated.

You had to admit that you had always found their bickering hysterical, and although were holding back a laughing fit, you didn't like the sound of where this conversation was headed.

Meanwhile, Marlon conveniently shoved the rest of his toast in his mouth, his eyes going wide as he put his hands up in surrender and intermittently pointed to his mouth full of bread that inhibited him from speaking.

Michael sighed and shook his head, his expression automatically softening as he turned back to you and placed his large hands gently on your upper arms.