• Listen (Jackson 5/Triumph Era); Pt.1 •

A/N: Hey guys! I'm going to keep this author's note short and sweet, although there is something important I want to clear up before you begin to read this imagine.

Disclaimer: I've included Tatiana in this story to serve the purpose of fulfilling a 'villain' role. She is a character, and I don't want to start any hate or negativity towards her. While I do not agree with some of the things she has said and done in relation to Michael, I do not know her and don't want my depiction of her character to be misinterpreted for hate. I just want to make it clear that I have created a character inspired by some of the attitudes she has shown towards Michael and her character's demeanour in 'TWYMMF' music video. That's it. Please bear this in mind when reading.

With all of that out of the way, I really hope you're excited to dive into this new concept! I've been sitting on this plot of years, now, but it's finally coming together and the first instalment is here for you to read. Enjoy Listen!

July 8th 1981

"Thanks for the coffee, Y/N!" several of your colleagues gratefully holler behind you, as you hurry through the backstage maze of the Mid-South Coliseum in Memphis. You smile sweetly over your shoulder at them before continuing the arduous task of ensuring that every cast and crew member have a piping hot caffeine fix before soundcheck commences.

It's the opening night of The Jacksons' much-anticipated Triumph tour, and it's certainly a big night for you, too. Having just graduated college with a well-earned degree in Sound Engineering, minoring in music, you've secured your first professional job in your desired field. It's still surreal to be calling so many individuals from the Epic label 'colleagues'. Many of them you admire greatly, and have done since childhood; in fact, the majority of them are like extended members of your own family.

As you walk through the empty stalls around the arena's perimeter, you smile to yourself as you catch sight of the Jackson brothers step onto the stage, ready to run their dress rehearsal. They're led by the most famous Jackson of all, Michael, and at the moment you see him in his dazzling, vibrant sequined getup, your smile widens considerably.

The brothers begin to settle into their usual lineup on stage with Michael front and centre, of course. He's currently waving to the nearby bassist, presumably unhappy with the instrument's volume and overall sound. You can't help laughing just a bit at the sight; Michael has always been such a perfectionist in all the years that you've known him.

Eyeing first the hustle and bustle of the crew behind you and then your watch, you decide you can spare a few moments to sit and enjoy just one number in the rehearsal. You've always loved seeing the magic of this family's talent come to life right before you on the stage, especially Michael- more often than not you struggle to tear your eyes away from him.

Just as the first few jazzy notes of the brothers' first ever musical success, I Want You Back, sweeps through the empty arena, you settle yourself on the nearest plastic seat. Hearing the excitable melody takes you right back to your own childhood, when your time with Michael and his brothers began all those years ago.

'Uh huh huh huh huh, let me tell ya now! Uh huh..."

--

1968

"When I had you to myself, I didn't want you around! Those pretty faces always made you stand out in a crowd..."

Sat atop one of the large amplifiers in the recording studio, you stared awestruck at the young boy singing in the recording booth. You couldn't help yourself bopping your head to the tune and swinging your short little legs in time with the music; it was the grooviest, most exciting melody you'd ever heard, and the singer's talent was second to none.