Bloody Encounters

After work, I decided to go to Destiny's. Since I had nothing better to do and it would be a full moon tonight, so Peter would turn. She was more than happy to see me.

"There was an accident today," Destiny said.

"Yeah, I was near the scene. Did you know through your magic?"

"Pfft. No, silly. The news."

"Oh," I shook my head.

"Don't mind me asking, but is everything okay between Roman and you now? After the whole knocking-out- Roman phase?"

"It's complicated, to say the least. He wrapped up my palm after I cut it today," I showed Destiny my hand, "and he did apologize, but I am not sure we will ever be close like we were."

"Feelings are such a nuisance. Sienna, you need to understand he was born with caul. Evil. His mother- embodiment of evil. I haven't ever met her, but trust me, when he's around me, her dark presence sometimes floods through his body. Upirs are strange. Gypsies- you understand if you try hard enough. Look at Peter-harmless as a dove, even though he looks like a beast when he turns. Upirs are not as simple."

"I wonder what he is hiding. And why he wouldn't tell anyone. We keep his secret about being upir. Whatever other ones he has will be safe with us," I said.

"He has his reasons, I am sure. Just don't get attached to him. It sounds cold, but in my years of practice, I can tell you catching feelings for him will only leave you hurt. Upirs aren't going to love you back."

I nodded. Part of me knew this about Roman, but that did not change how much I dreaded that fact. No matter how much Roman tries to break from it, he is Olivia's child. It didn't even matter that she wasn't in Hemlock Grove. Her presence seemed to linger at every dark corner. I know some piece of Roman probably tried to hold onto the specks of good in him, but most of the time, it's his dark side that triumphed.

Next day after work, when everyone was gone, Pryce asked me to wait. So I did, for approximately 2 hours. Then, the elevator slid open, and I spotted Pryce. He asked me to join him. We went to the floor where I had first seen Roman feed. As I had guessed, Dr. Pryce took me to that very door and unlocked it with a keypad.

He cued for me to go inside first, then him. "As I now know, you are not just a human being. You are more than that. I have yet to ask you who you truly are. But before that, I want you to see Roman feed."

I remembered Pryce did not know I had already seen Roman feed, and that is how it all started. I believed it was best not to mention that part. Pryce peered outside then closed the door behind us.

Inside, was another room, with bags of blood dangling from the ceiling like decorations. The room was chilly, much too cold for me to bear, but I stayed. Pryce told me to crouch down behind a few barrels and told me to just observe. I had no idea why he wanted this or what his purpose was. I had worked under Pryce for quite some time now, and I learned four main things about him- 1. He is unpredictable. 2. He has his fair share of secrets. 3. He cares for very, very little people, and I feel like miraculously, I made the list. 4. Pryce almost never does something if he doesn't gain something from it. Yet I listened to him.

Minutes later, a starving Roman rushed in and immediately tore a bag off the hanging ones and started to rip it open and gulp it all down. He completely ignored Pryce in the room, and pulled two more bags and did the same. While this happened, I felt that surge of energy run through me again, like what happened at the accident scene and when my co-workers got upset over Roman's temper tantrum. I felt like this had nothing to do with Roman's feeding, and everything with me sensing a fourth presence in the room. I was silent though.

After Roman fed, he discarded the blood bags and wiped the sticky blood substitute off his face. That is when he acknowledged Pryce.

"This isn't enough anymore," Roman said. "I haven't had actual blood for days. I need it, I need it." Roman seemed like a caged lion right then. Sure, he looked human, but I saw the hungry, raging beast inside him go insane for actual blood. It was terrifying to say the least.

"Roman, your hunger has caused you to exceed the number of bags you can have in one day. If this continues, you will not even have blood substitute at the end of the month," Pryce commented.

I stared at the scene with amazement. The conversation of blood sent another surge though my body. What was happening. I was feeling fed too?

"Sienna, you can appear out of your hiding place at this moment," Pryce called out. Faking confidence, I rose up and walked towards Pryce.

"I wanted her to see how you fed," Pryce explained.

Roman was probably going to say how I had seen it before, but I shook my head 'no' at him. He got the message and changed his sentence.

"Okay, but what would she do knowing how I fed?"

"Roman, I am sure we are both aware of Sienna not being a complete human. All I wanted to see was whether something like this flicked a switch in her head. If she craves blood."

Before anyone else could speak, I whispered into Dr. Pryce's ear, "There is someone else here."

Dr. Pryce straightened his suit and called out, "Whoever it is, come out of hiding. Now!" No answer.

"Do not make me catch you after I count to three," warned Pryce.

Right then, one of my co-workers came forth. I didn't really know his name or any details at all really about him, except that he did menial work, and we sometimes made eye contact in the hallways.

"How did you get here?" Pryce asked calmly at first. When the man did not respond, Pryce grabbed the man by his neck. "How did you get here!"

At that moment, I began to feel that satisfied feeling again. I scolded myself mentally. Why on earth was I feeling satisfied at a time like this? Most of me and my emotions were shocked and worried, but my body loved the fulfillment it was getting.

The man confessed to sneaking here before any of us got here because he assumed there was a money vault or something precious on this side of the door. Never did he think it would be fake blood.

"I-I-I'm sorry," the man stammered. Pryce hoisted the man up and shoved him across the wall.

"Yeah?" Roman asked. Pryce nodded. Roman walked closer to the man.

Then happened the strangest thing. Roman's mouth widened open, way more than a normal person, and I noticed he had fangs. He dug his face into the man's neck as the man's eyes widened with terror. At that moment, I felt full, like after a meal. Roman sucked on the blood for a solid seven minutes, then he threw the corpse onto the floor. His light blue shirt was now stained with that man's blood.

My jaw dropped in horror. I had witnessed a joint murder. I instigated it. An actual upir fed on a live human being. And I realized Pryce had super strength.

Roman and Pryce looked at me. "This stays in. Peter knows. Destiny knows. And that's how it should stay. Nod if you understand," Roman said.

"Clean this up. I'll get the 40 grand into the research department tomorrow," Roman said as he walked out.

"You better," Pryce said.

"Time for you to leave as well, Ms. Sienna. Indeed, you have watched more than I originally had intended, but seeing that you are still conscious and have not yet shown signs of lunacy indicates you have the ability to endure this act."

I bid Pryce goodbye and left.