New Town, New Beginning

My name is Sienna. Age 20, two years out of high school. Tried college (didn't work out quite how I wanted to). Ran around all of Pennsylvania and bordering states as much as financial abilities could stretch to find internships. I wanted to become a scientist when I was five. As I grew up, the dream stuck and got more specific- an aide in some bio-engineering department. That is all I could get from an Associate's degree. But it worked because I woke up that day with sheer joy and excitement running through my veins. Out of all places, I applied and got accepted to intern at the Godfrey Institute of Biomedical Technologies. First of all, unbelievable. It's like someone with anything beneath a 4.0 GPA getting accepted at Harvard. It was my first day of work. I rushed that morning. I think I ate an egg in three bites and chugged down my water. My mother patiently cleaned up after me, smiling warmly and stroking my hair. After the fastest breakfast I ever had, I piled my bag together, looked in the mirror and stood up high. My mother appeared in the background, still smiling. I spotted her getting a little teary.

"I, uh, will head out now. Don't want to be late for the first day. Wish me luck!" I said as I sped to the front door. I got all confused and flustered whenever I saw Mom cry- even with happy tears. Then it hit me. It was my first day, but it was hers too. She never left me alone. I turned back and raced into the kitchen, found my mother, and hugged her tight. "Mom, thank you. I couldn't have done this without you. I know you're scared, but I'll be great. I'll make you proud." She looked at me and stroked my cheek with her thumb while trying to keep back tears. 

"You have already made me proud. I know you will be great. Have the best day, sweetie".

I started my beat-up car and drove for about 40 minutes when a tall, tall building towered above the leaves and branches. I drove past a sign that read "Hemlock Grove". This was a tad bit further than I thought it would be. If I worked here regularly, I made a note to myself that I would have to find a closer residence.

Soon enough, I came into the outside parking of the Godfrey Institute and stopped my car. I looked around to see better, expensive, newer cars surrounding the one I have been driving since 16. Not that my car didn't work- it just looked horrible. I took the deepest breath I had ever taken, gathered my belongings, and headed out the car door. I was going to be fine.

I had mustered lots of courage to go on inside. The interior walls of the building were plain and very minimalist-ic. The walls were a bright white, people with formal clothing walked all over the place, and the lights gave off a blue hue. The whole place honestly looked like a dreadful hospital sans the depressed family members on the benches. I looked at the map I was handed via mail and made my way down to the lab where I would be spending my time from now on.

The lab was way larger than I thought it would be. I think it covered a whole floor and it had stairs inside too, so it must have been more than just the floor I was at. There was an office at one side of the office, and I headed there, trying to stay calm. I met with Dr. Johann Pryce, an acclaimed scientist who apparently hand-picked my application out of others. He was of Eastern Asian descent and had short black hair. I was shocked when I received the news. Why on earth would he have picked me when I can bet my beat-up car that there were better candidates than me? I don't know, but I was grateful.

"Ms. Sienna? Good morning. I am Dr. Pryce," he said, extending his hand.

I shook it. "Good morning, Dr. A pleasure to be working under you. Thank you for allowing this to happen."

Dr. Pryce spent the rest of the morning taking me around the lab, introducing me to everyone, explaining how most of the time I am going to be with him, and ran through the unsaid rules that everyone pretty much gets to know about once they start working here. I obeyed and listened patiently to everything. This is going to be fun.