Workplace Encounters

The next week went well. I made a friend at the White Tower- Madeleine who worked at the front desk. She and I swapped stories every day when I signed out. I was happy I found someone to talk to. I was also responsible enough that Dr. Pryce had told me I could sit with him at a meeting, where other board members are. I got a special pass. I was proud of myself for earning Pryce's trust so quickly.

"Did you have time to accumulate all the notes?" Dr. Pryce asked me, minutes before the meeting started.

"Yes, Sir, but did he tell you what the topic of this meeting would be?"

"Nope, he never does. But be ready." Dr. Pryce whispered to me. I nodded, unaware of what was about to happen. It was my first time in this large, window-bordered conference room. That was scary enough; I didn't need to even think of how it would be like to finally see Mr. Godfrey- the owner and CEO of this whole place. I heard his forefathers practically owned the town and did recall seeing 'Godfrey' on a bunch of gates and things around town. All I knew about him as a person was he was rich, he kept to himself, he was serious about his work, and he yelled a lot. Also, he fired people left and right based on his mood. I kept swallowing my saliva to stop my throat from running dry. I stared at the people circled around the table, all waiting for Mr. Godfrey to show up. That's when I was feeling a little nauseous. My head was pounding. Pretty sure it was just out of nervousness, yet I couldn't understand why just feeling nervous would be churning my core.I figured it was just the creeps. Cold feet. Totally normal. I'll be fine. I tried not to bother anyone or let anyone know I felt like I was about to faint. Right then I felt something clog up my nose, It went down again through my throat. The metallic substance rose in my throat and spilled into my mouth. Blood. It was blood. I looked at Dr. Pryce who grimly stared at his watch. I tapped on his elbow.

"Sir, I need help," I started to whimper.

Dr. Pryce looked at me. His expression changed from impatient to concerned. "Are you alright?" he asked.

"I don't know. I don't feel very good," I mumbled, lips trying to purse together. I think my eyes were bloodshot by then because lots of people were looking at me, and Pryce told me to get up immediately and go to his place. I got up and did what he said. I hadn't even reached the door to Pryce's chamber when I threw up, and it was all blood. And then, I felt this surge go through my body. It was something I had never experienced before. My senses started to dim. I yelled in pain, I think, then blacked out.

I think I returned to life 10 minutes later. I saw the sleeve on my arm rolled up and a band-aid right under my shoulder. Pryce was throwing a syringe away.

"I'm so sorry you had to miss the meeting, Dr. I really am. What happened?" I asked very confused about all that has happened.

"I'm not completely sure. But let me tell you this- 1. You need more rest. You'll stay here until I discharge you 2. Don't panic but I'll be straightforward with you- this wasn't a normal. I really don't know more. Don't stress. Just stay here."

Dr. Pryce was stern with what he said, yet somehow the whole thing rang in my mind like words of compassion. I shuddered hearing what he said about it not being normal and him not knowing what was happening. If he doesn't know what was going on, that means this is trouble.

My mother was informed about my condition and she came to the White Tower, quite calm for someone who'd daughter started coughing up blood. She also seemed sad. Not afraid-sad. More like regretting-sad. I assumed she took it on her that I became stressed and that caused this. Poor mother.

"Mom, I'm sorry. I don't know what happened," I feebly told her.

"Sweetheart, it's not your fault. I am sorry for this. I shouldn't have let you come here. I should've just kept you to myself."