"Do you want me to drive home? Or are you going to stay later than me? I don't mind I can always call a cab or-" I begin to ramble and Mason chuckles to himself.

"I'll drive you home." he shrugs.

"No way. You're not driving anywhere drunk." I scoff, I would never let him drive me anywhere after drinking, or himself. I didn't think he was that reckless.

"Who said I was drinking, Amara?" he raises his eyebrow at me.

"Well, it's a party and I thought-"

"If you aren't drinking, I wont. I don't want you to be the only sober one there. And I wouldn't let you get a cab home alone at night." I can't help but be surprised at his gesture, I would've never expected him to stay sober for me, at his friends party. He seems to have completely changed from the first day I met him, maybe he was just having a bad day. He's been nothing but caring towards me since.

"You don't have to stay sober all night for me." I tell him sincerely. I want to make sure he knows I don't want to ruin the party for him, I feel guilty.

"It's fine. I can always drink at the next party." he replies, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel as we drive. I can't help but feel like my mom is the reason he's too scared to drink around me. I don't want people to be scared to be themselves because of my issues with drinking, but I shake the thought and tell myself he just doesn't want to drink.

We arrive at the party and park down the street a little, the whole front of the house is crowded with cars. Mason and I wait for Jess to find a spot before walking in, the front yard is full of people chugging beer and trying to walk in a straight line—with a small blonde girl throwing up in a plant beside the steps as her friends attempts to hold her hair back, while simulataneously throwing up. True friendship. My nerves grow as we walk inside and Mason gives me a reassuring smile.

The house is packed and full of drunk teenagers, I fiddle with my fingers trying to contain my anxiety towards the unfamiliar setting. Mason gently strokes my arm with his index finger to calm me, then quickly pulls it away as a group of guys approach us.

"Loche!" The tall one in the front yells as he shakes Masons hand and does that weird hug thing boys do. It takes me a minute to realise Loche is Mason's surname, why do guys use surnames when referring to one another? I'll never understand it.

"Is this your date?" he smirks as he looks me up and down, before turning his attention back to Mason.

"No, this is my.. friend, Amara." he seemed unsure about using the word friend, but I'm glad he did. Although I find myself slightly disappointed he didn't introduce me as his date. What is wrong with me?

"We're going to get a drink, I'll see you soon." Jess yells over the loud music and laughter that erupts in the room, while dragging Jack through the hallway by his hand.

I can't shake how uneasy I am in such a crowded room full of intoxicated people, but I really don't want to have to ruin this for Mason.

"Are you okay?" Mason asks close to my ear so I can hear him.

"Yes." I lie.

"If you want you two can join us upstairs, there's a group of us up there chilling." Masons friend asks.

"That would be great." I chirp, I feel a lot more relaxed with a smaller group of his friends away from the chaos.

I look at Mason who is mouthing 'no' to me behind his friend's back. I didn't think he'd mind.

"You don't have to come, I'll go myself if you want." I offer.

He rolls his eyes and follows us upstairs. Mason's friend leads us into a small room upstairs where there are already five people sitting - three guys, and two girls. I nervously take a seat on a chair propped up against the wall and Mason sits beside me. There's a strange smell in the room and I can't quite put my finger on it. I watch as everyone greets Mason but one girl. She just sits talking to the one who brought Mason and I up here.