Jess stretches out her hand to shake Mason's and he just stares blankly.

"He doesn't shake hands, I learned that the hard way." I tease as I roll my eyes at Mason, earning a smile in return.

Jess' hand is still reaching out as I notice she literally hasn't heard a word I said, she was too busy drooling over Mason and admiring him to notice. I swear she would have heart eyes popping out of her head if it was possible.

"Jess!" I yell, swatting her hand down as she finally comes back down to earth.

"Oh, sorry! I was distracted." she chokes as she finally detatches her eyes from Mason. I can't help but feel.. mad? I don't know what it is but I don't like the way Jess is practically falling at Mason's feet. She has a boyfriend.

"Well, we better go. Thanks for the note, Mason. It meant a lot." I flash him a smile before pulling Jess' arm to leave.

"Actually, I was going to ask you if you were busy tonight?" He sounds confident but he avoids eye contact with me and I notice him fiddling with his fingers nervously.

"We're free." Jess answers for me. Great. Mason, Jess and I. Sounds like fun.

"Actually I just meant Am-" Mason starts, but Jess cuts him off.

"Where do you want to go?" she basically screams over the top of his words.

I can tell how uncomfortable Mason is, he isn't good with new people. I learned that the hard way, too.

"One of my friends are having a party tonight, I was going to ask Amara to come but... I guess you can come too. If you want." I've never heard a less heartfelt invitation, but Jess doesn't seem to mind.

"We have class tomorrow, I don't think it's a good idea." I say anxiously, parties are not my scene. Being surrounded by people drinking has never appealed to me, probably for obvious reasons. I think my mom has put me off drinking too much for life.

"You don't have to drink." Mason smiles, as if reading my mind.

"Come on, Mar! Don't be such a buzzkill!" Jess whines, while tugging on my sleeve and shifting her weight back and forward, swaying. Begging like a child. I don't know why it annoyed me, but it did. She hated parties too, until the other night. Plus, she should know why I don't want to go.

But I don't want to let Jess go with Mason alone, I don't know why. God dammit, Jessica.

"Okay." I give in, at least I won't be at home.

"You should invite your boyfriend, Jess." I emphasise the word boyfriend and I'm immediately aware of how petty it sounds, but I couldn't help it. I'm just mad she has a boyfriend and she's clearly disrespecting him. Yeah, that's it. I convince myself.

"Yeah, he's welcome to come." Mason smirks. I know for a fact that he sensed the bitchiness in my voice when I invited her boyfriend, that's why he backed me up. There's no way he'd want to be around Jess and her boyfriend otherwise. It makes me cringe realising how transparent my dig at Jess was.

"I'll call him." she fakes a smile and I return it, mine full of pride.

"I'll pick you up at eight?"

"Sure." I smile.

Mason smiles back at me before walking to his car and my heart swells slightly at the fact he even invited me. I really do think our friendship is heading in the right direction.

"Mar, you said he was hot, but you didn't tell me he was that hot!" Jess attempts to whisper but it comes out as more of a yell.

"Shhh!" I cover her mouth with my hand. If Mason knows I called him attractive, even slightly—I would never live it down. And his ego would only grow. Giving him another reason to tease me.