Chapter 10 • Not a morning person

Start from the beginning

The girl pursed her lips as she had an inner conflict with her pride. Should she just walk to her room to get dressed? But he had told her to do that. She couldn't give in that quickly, right?

She glanced at the man in front of her once more. The calm look on his face as he studied her reaction made her even more nervous. Though there was this almost hidden glistening in his eyes. She couldn't tell if it was amusement, determination, or maybe anger.
Whatever it was, it made her get up from the comfy place on the sofa, gather the blankets-something that didn't go very smoothly as there were a lot, in the end she decided to just drape them around her body like a cloak- and pass the vampire without another word.

The pink fabric dragged behind her as she slowly walked towards the pink guest room.
Eunha could hear footsteps following her. As she glanced over her shoulder, she saw it was Jimin. He must have felt obliged to get dressed as well.

When they reached her room, he showed her one of his famous smirks, eyes observing how her body was drowning in the soft materials. A snort sounded from the elf, making the girl glare at him. He reached out his hand however, softly patting her head almost reassuringly, before swiftly turning around and walking towards his own room.

What?
Confusion.

Why had he suddenly patted her head? Did she look like a dog to him?
She shook her head quietly and quickly fled inside her room. He was a strange person.

--
After getting dressed, the four had proceeded on their way. It was exactly like Namjoon predicted, after two hours of climbing over hills, the hungry pair cried out in joy as they saw the welcome sign to the little town.
It creaked as the old, rotting wood seemed to move by itself.

Jimin and Eunha ignored the little detail, fist-bumping the air at the thought of food.

Even Taehyung and Namjoon let out a relieved sigh. As both the elf and human had been starving, they moved slowly. Every couple of second there had been either a whiny or snarky comment. Everything irritating and saddening the duo as all they wanted was to eat something.

The demon had been quite surprised to see them like that actually, well, to see the girl like that. He was used to Jimin's whining and annoying behaviour, but Eunha. He couldn't remember hearing her whine about anything before, but the hunger pushed her limits. She was like an unstoppable lawn mower as she shredded every bit of positivity and voiced all her irritations and hardships to the sky.

At moments like that Taehyung was happy to not have to experience the same kind of hunger. It looked like absolute torture.

Eunha put her hand on her stomach and rubbed it reassuringly. She would soon be able to eat and then the gnawing feeling in her tummy would stop.

She let her eyes wander around the scene. It was indeed a very small town. Little brick houses standing close to each other as the difference in height and colour separated them. A small gravel path curled into the little village, swerving in between some houses before ending in a small round-about. In the middle of this circle stood a statue, the stone turning green most-likely from previous showers.

The statue was of a short man, booted foot propped on a little chair as he held out his hand to point at something in the distance. A long beard dripped down his face with lack of volume and a torn hat sat atop of his curly locks.

Eunha was not one to normally judge others or their works, but this statue wasn't the best. Still she pushed the thought aside, reasoning that as it was standing there proudly it must hold some kind of historical meaning.

Overall the town gave off an eerie vibe. This could also be because of the few sunbeams that shone into the opening, creating large shadows around the houses.
Chills shot through the girl's body however, as a pained groan filled the silence of the morning. It was both full of exhaustion and emptiness, how the owner of the voice managed to do that, she did not know.

She quickly searched the path for movement. When her eyes locked on the figure creating those noises, they widened.
A woman in her late thirties slowly made her way towards a building. Her long brown hair was matte and full of knots, face blank as if she wasn't even present. As she creeped forwards, one leg slightly dragging behind the other, soft groans and sighs left her agape mouth.

Eunha almost expected her to mutter the word 'brain' longingly, as the zombie like figure finally reached her destination. She pushed open the door with trouble, the sound of a little bell ringing contrasting with the inhuman noises emerging from the woman's throat.

The girl raised her eyebrows in surprise.
Maybe she just wasn't a morning person. That was possible. Even she didn't function well in the morning. She had been a whining mess the previous hours herself in fact.
The like-a-dying-whale-sounding lady could be hungry. Hungry and not a morning person. She was sure of it.

Namjoon cleared his throat, grabbing the attention of the other three. His hand vaguely pointed in the direction of the woman.
"Well, here we are lady and gents. The town of the possessed."

Wait. What?