Snowflake

My inspiration for Archer 

ARCHER'S POV

Another snowflake hit my nose, melting and leaving a dribble of water in its place, the snow had started to get heavy through the thick woods I was currently travelling through, nearly coming up to my chest now as I started struggling to make my way through it.

The bare trees seemed to whistle in the wind which was starting to pick up now, it was going to be a very cold night, I really should start looking for shelter before it gets dark. Everything seemed to be hiding away from the cold but when your living as a wolf you can't hide, especially when travelling. At any moment I could stumble into other packs territory and that's trouble I really don't need right now and this snow was definitely not for running away in.

I'm not sure how much time has passed since I ran off, maybe a couple months or so, I'd stayed in my wolf form since that day, that horrible day, it being easier I guess and cheaper to travel this way and having to constantly worry about danger helps take my mind of my life or lack of right now.

I'd ended going all the way up to the North of the country, keeping to the woods as best I could or travelling through the night in more public areas, except for maybe a few people seeing a gigantic wolf crossing the road I think I'd done pretty good so far at staying hidden.

The hunting on the other hand, not so good, many nights I'd lied awake hungry, not being able to catch anything, I never was the best hunter of the pack and being out here hasn't changed that one bit.

...

"Food" my wolf growls as the scent of rabbit drifts into my nostrils and I begin chase, dodging trees as I catch sight of the little brown fluffy thing bounces through the snow. Just as my jaw goes to clamp around it's back legs it darts to the right while I go straight.

CLAMP!

Excruciating pain shoots up my back left hind leg as I go facepalm the ground, my snout digging into the snow letting out a pain filled howl along with a round of whines. Looking back, my foot is trapped in the metal jaws of a hunting trap, blood already leaking from the wound as it cuts deep into my flesh.

I'm in the middle of nowhere, I can't even hear anything to signal that there are any humans around here, no cars for miles, nothing but trees and snow. I'm going to die out here! If not from blood loss then another predator will come along and see me as an easy meal.

...

The hours drag by that day as I'm stuck lying there, passing in and out of consciousness, the blood slowly turning the surrounding snow bright red, until I'm pooled in it. I can't even move, the trap is bolted into the ground and trust me I tried without much luck, just ending up causing myself more pain as it ripped the skin even harder.

I thought about 127 hours it and chewing it off but then I thought about actually chewing my own leg off and just nope! First of I just couldn't, when I actually thought about it, the flesh and bones I was nearly sick right there and second I have no idea how that would affect my human form, would I end up losing a leg in that form too.

I can feel myself getting weaker as I watch the day turn into night, an owl lands in the tree above my head, giving little hoots every so often, I listen all night to it, too scared to fall asleep in case I never wake up but when I'm just about to pass out a scent filters into the air, it's definitely human, there's a dog with it as well I think, I'm not sure though my minds started to go fuzzy now with the blood loss.

I let out a little growl that even I know sound like the most un-threatening, pathetic sound going but still I have to try, I hear their footsteps next coming closer along with a line of cusses when they stop a few foot away from my head, the dog that's with them letting out a warning bark, I'm guessing at me, well fuck you dog your more of a threat right now than I am.