~*Chapter 22*~

Chapter 22:

Dana’s POV: January 21st, 2036

            “Excited?” Dave asks, smiling at the crowd, watching our every move.

            “Very.” I grin at the cameras, “And maybe a little scared.” We begin walking at a slow pace as the White House Gates open and we start to head to the road. The security detail was working extra hard to keep the crowds back. People wave to us, chant our names, take pictures, and the reporters shout questions. Dave and I held hands and used our free one to wave to the crowds, shooting our best smiles and shouting greetings at the crowd.

            “I still can’t believe this is happening.” Dave says, keeping his eyes on the crowd and speaking in a low volume so only I could hear.

            “You deserve it.” I say, waving at the CNN camera with Bill standing in front of it. Bill was the only one who said he would rather cover the ceremony than be there and watch it as a guest, but he promised to attend the Inaugural Ball that night.

            “Nope, we deserve it.” he moves his face and faces me with his breathtaking smile. As we move further down the road, we both start to feel comfortable and release hands as we go and shake hands with the crowd. I think I shook a million hands and took a billion pictures. Some even wanted our autographs! I could not believe the level of joy on Capitol Hill and maybe even all of DC. Who says politics is boring? I was in the middle of shaking hands when I felt an arm around my waist.

            “I’m sorry to say we have to head inside so the floats can come out.” Dave quietly informs me. I nod and say my goodbyes to the crowd. Soon Dave and I were lead to a transparent tent with heating, food, and seats so we could watch the parade. I immediately head to my seat in the middle of the front row and collapse onto my chair, not caring that I should probably greet the many politicians and guests that were standing around socializing.

“That must have been an exhausting walk.” the familiar, kind voice of my best friend says as she sits down next to me and hands me a plate of food. Have I mentioned what an amazing friend she is?

“You have no idea.” I smile as I take a bite of the Spanakopita. I watched the high school bands that we nominated to participate, pass by waving at us and I wave back.

“How are things with the baby?” she asks sounding excited and a little worried.

“Fine for now. Although she has been kicking a lot more than usual today.” I turn to face her and we both laugh.

“Rajah did that the last few weeks, I think it means you’re getting close.” she gave me a knowing smile.

“Hopefully not tonight, we still have that stupid ball. Ugh, I think I’ll fall asleep in the middle.” Raaisa laughs at my comment.

“I doubt you’ll fall asleep with all the political buzz.”

“My life is gonna be full of political buzz for the next 8 years. I think I can skip a night.”