~*Chapter 6*~ --- The Wedding!

Raaisa’s POV: June 13, 2019

It was a magical day. The sun never shined as bright as it did that morning, the birds never chirped sweeter melodies. I’m not kidding when I say it was literally like I had stepped into heaven. My white dress swished around my ankles as I tried to stand still.

“For god’s sake, Raaisa, stop fidgeting! Your mascara’s going to smear all over your beautiful dress!” Dana scolds me and I pout.

“Can I just skip the whole makeup part? I doubt Michael really cares.”

“Uh, N-O, no! You want this day to be special, and you rarely ever wear this much makeup.”

“That’s true,” I say in a dreamy voice as I go back to fantasizing about the wedding. I could already hear the round of applause and the music. And of course, I couldn’t forget Michael. I wonder what his suit looks like--he didn’t let me see it no matter how hard I begged, but I guess it was fair since I didn’t show him my dress.   

“All right, I think you’re done.” Dana pops the lid back on to the mascara wand and laughs when I let out an exasperated sigh. “Now don’t get all tired yet--your big day hasn’t even started!”

“True.” I beam at her and flounce towards the grand entrance of the room. Michael and I had spent hours arguing about whether or not we should have our wedding out-of-state or in Colorado; we had come to an agreement that Colorado would be easier for most of us, especially since we wouldn’t have to worry about buying tickets and such.

“Nuh-uh-uh, Raaisa. You can’t go in yet. I have to announce that you’re coming in.”

My bottom lip puckers out and I slink back to the dressing room. “Well, hurry up and get it over with.” I joke as someone thrusts a bouquet into my hands.

“You got it!” Dana twirls away in her beautiful pale pink dress, conspicuous against the purple bridesmaid dresses I had chosen. After all, the maid of honor does deserve to stand out. While I wait, I examine the fragrant bouquet in my hands. The purple orchids perfectly complimented the white roses and the dark green leaves provided the perfect background display for the wonderful flowers. My nose is still smothering the flowers when suddenly, I’m pushed closer to the wooden doors. It’s time for the bride to walk down the aisle.

I’m thinking about the conversation Michael and I had when we were trying to come up with a consensus for the date of the wedding as I slowly push open the door, Dana’s arm linked with mine.

“June 13th. 6/13/19 is a pretty mathematical date, for muah, and it’s your jersey number!” I remember exclaiming. 

“I think God’s trying to tell us something.” Michael’s eyes gleamed in the almost dark. My heart started fluttering and I leaned toward him and met his pink lips with mine.

“Seven days.” Michael had whispered after he pulled away.

And now that day was today. “I’m scared, Dana.”

“Don’t be. Just pretend no one is here but you and Michael.” Dana’s sincere smile calms me and I proceed, opening the door fully and prancing in with my best friend at my side.

Turns out I didn’t need to follow Dana’s advice; it just came naturally. I could hear the music whistling through the air, yet I couldn’t hear it at the same time. I saw Dana showering the aisle with rose petals, but I couldn’t quite register it fully. All I saw was Michael’s exquisite green eyes, drawing me in as I walked down the carpeted aisle. My groom. My true love. My Michael.

I don’t even realize I’m on the platform until I see Michael standing right in front of me. I caress his face with my eyes, studying the planes of his face, the look of his lips, the sparkle in his eyes, and the dazzling smile that must be mirrored on my face.