fifteen

july 13thtoronto

july 13th
toronto

THE DISTANCE FROM CLUB RUM & DRUM WAS A LITTLE LESS THAN ONE MILE which equaled about fifteen minutes of me, myself, and my music. The sky was colored in black, and there was no star to be seen, just like any humanly presence on the cold streets of Toronto. I regretted not taking a coat with me, especially since going from the incredibly hot club to the fresh breezes embracing my body outside was a big change. I hugged myself, warming up my arms that were decorated in goosebumps as I traveled down the streets in a fast pace. Miles had agreed on spending the night at my house, but he disappeared throughout the night. I had waited until Rum & Drum closed its doors, still there was no Miles to be seen. My twitchy worries had urged me to call him repeatedly, and each time his deep voice sounded through the speakers of my phone forming the voicemail, and I weirdly enough could hear him smile. Memories of what I had witnessed at the club kept driving back into my mind and displayed themselves onto the retina in the back of my head, and I couldn't stop smiling at the images. Miles had pierced his greens into the fella across from him, a nicely dressed male with dyed hair and a slender figure. Next to him, Miles looked like a full grown man with the scruff going on and his tall, broad and overall very testosterone-ish body, yet the pair looked like a match created in heaven. I shook my head at how they passionately connected their lips in the middle of the dance floor, ever-so fuckless as he'd say, and I was convinced that I had seen sparks circulating around the two. It was better than any romcom I had ever seen, it was real, so real.

I spun myself around in the middle of the empty street, singing along with the legendary Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time) by The Delfonics. Even though I had met weird individuals such as the guy who expected me, a fake lesbian, to agree on his proposal about threesomes, the night had been fun.

"Nova, Nova!"

I plugged the earbuds out of my ears, and turned around only to see a wild Miles running towards as if he had absolutely no control over his own body. His boorish steps made him lose his balance, and he seemed to fall right onto his face, but a few seconds later he crawled back up and continued running. I laughed and shook my head, waiting for him.

"Oh my God," he breathed out once he had reached me and hugged me tightly, "I've never ran this much in my fucking life, my obesity doesn't like this at all."

"Miles," I chuckled, "I have so many questions right now, I don't know where to start."

"I have a question for you too," he laid his arm around my shoulder as we continued walking – although I was mainly preventing him from tripping again, "why is a beautiful girl like you walking alone at this time? You're crazy, you don't know what male species are capable of!"

"I always carry pepper spray," I said, "and I know perfect self-defense."

He dramatically threw back his head and groaned. "I don't understand why Hart didn't walk you home."

"What?" I looked at him, but his eyes were fixated on the road in front of us.

"Hart Feingold, Sean Feingold's son?"

"What about him?"

What was this intoxicated man talking about?

"You're telling me you didn't see him at Rum & Drum? He was in the VIP lounge." He looked at me, forehead in a confused frown.

"No, I didn't," I said, shaking my head. He was there and I didn't see him. I could've seen him, but I didn't. Maybe I should've stayed until every single person was out of the club. "Wait, how do you know that I know him?"

"He told me. I passed the VIP lounge or something, I don't know, but he invited me in and asked me whether I knew you. He saw us talk or something. I don't know. Weird guy, but he's handsome though. Oh, and his leg's broken."

He had seen me, but didn't bother to come up to me.

Suddenly, Miles seemed to change his mind, and started giggling. "I, eh- you know what forget about Hart. He's not coming to pick you up or anything, like he never asked me which way you were walking back. I didn't tell him that I was going to stalk you while he was getting his car. That would be weird. Nova, I love you and all, and I'm sorry to make you walk all by yourself, but I have a one night stand to please."

He started running back, and made a pirouette while he was at it. "I'm such a bad friend, yay!"

I just stood there for a couple of seconds, watching him disappear behind the corner at the end of the street. It was obvious that he meant the exact opposite of the things he had just told me, but I didn't know whether to believe him or not; he was very drunk after all. On the other hand, he probably hadn't lied about having a conversation with Hart in which Hart had told him he knew me.

I decided to simply continue my walk until, as semi-expected, an expensive-looking car slowly drove beside me. The window of the backseats rolled down, and of course, Hart's beautiful smile appeared. My body instantly turned into pudding, making my limbs feel so incredibly light, I almost tripped over my own feet. Damn you, Miles, damn you for arranging this for me. Hart's dark curls adorned the features on his face, and his eyes reflected the light coming from the street lights, appearing like a twinkle in his pupils.

"As an inspiring woman once said," he spoke, "get in, loser."