"If you were there when I got stabbed, what would you have done?"

"What?"

"When I got stabbed, if you had been there, what would have done?"

"I would've killed the girl who tried to hurt you." His answer was dark, but no different from what she knew Lisa was about to do.

"Imagine I'm Jungkook, and you're Lalisa. It's no different, you would've done the same thing—"

"Why are you supporting this? I just...I don't get it. She's your friend, and you're just okay with her sending herself on a suicide mission?"

"She's not going to die. Trust her Tae. You know she's smart, she's tricky, and she's strong."

Despite the conversation being about his sister, Jennie knew that they were silently arguing about something else. Something that they always seemed to fight about, something he never understood.

"Why don't you trust me?"

"Why don't I—what?" He turned to the brunette with an incredulous look. "Are you crazy? Of course I do."

"No you don't." Jennie had been doing a pretty good job at staying pretty calm while talking, but the conversation was making her more and more upset. "My points make perfect sense, yet you still refuse to believe that she will be okay."

"They don't make perfect sense to me. Not unless you can confirm that she will be okay."

Taehyung sighed. "I said I would've killed the person that tried to hurt you." His dark eyes were trying to read hers. "So tell me Jennie, would you kill Baekhyun to save me?"

"Are you seriously asking me that?" She was almost bubbling over. The tension was at an ultimate high, she couldn't tell if it was anger or tears.

"Yes I would, actually! I don't kill people, but I would in this situation."

His face was emotionless, or maybe it was a facade, she couldn't tell. She couldn't read him, maybe he didn't understand what she meant by that at all.

"For you, you idiot." Jennie leaned away, resting her arm on the edge, a single tear falling. "Despite all you've done to protect me, it's no use. I would easily shoot someone, just like how I did when I first joined this gang because I love you."

"I don't know how you feel after all of this. But it seems like you don't trust what I can really do. I'm not weak, and Lisa isn't either..."

It was dark outside. And rainy. Though the two were possibly in an argument, she wouldn't leave even if Taehyung tried to kick her out. She felt a lot better now after getting that off her chest.

"Don't cry." Jennie looked at him when his hand tugged at her elbow. "It makes me sad when you cry."

"Sorry."

"I didn't realize I was pushing you away. I just thought, ever since my mother died...I couldn't let that happen to anyone else. You might not be at the same level as the others when it comes to weaponry defense, but you're one of the only people who I consider a challenge in hand-to-hand combat. Jen, I know you're not weak. I've known for a while."

Then they were quiet again. She didn't know how to respond to that. So he had known, this whole time. Then...what was the reason for all of this?

He got up off of the couch, Jennie supposed he needed some space. She was wrong though, when he sat down right in front of her.

"Forget about Lisa." Now she could see through him for once. He was completely transparent. "Did you mean what you said?"

"Which part?"

"That you loved me."

Her eyes widened. It hadn't even processed in her brain that she had said that.

"Yes." Jennie mumbled. "All of that...I meant it."

"I hope that," Taehyung looked tired. "once all of this is over, it becomes easier for me to show my emotions around you."

From that, Jennie knew he wasn't ready to say it back. But that didn't mean his feelings were any different from hers. It didn't make her sad...that he couldn't say it back. Worrying about that was far from Taehyung's concern right now. With all of his family issues right now, he couldn't even focus on himself, which was quite upsetting. Baekhyun was slowly driving Taehyung insane, and it made Jennie angry.

"Don't worry, I have a feeling that won't be a problem once Baekhyun is dealt with." She smiled for a small moment, debating on what to say next.

Jennie didn't need to actually, his lips enveloped hers, pushing her frame back into the soft grey couch she had originally been sitting on the edge of. Maybe they needed a distraction, she could actually use one.

Everyday Jennie tried not to think about the horrid thoughts her mind tried to rehash ever since that incident. She couldn't even call it "the-day-she-was-stabbed" — even that was too brutal for her brain to handle. It was merely the incident.

And to top that, her best friend could possibly die tomorrow. And Taeyong wouldn't even answer her calls.

A few months ago, had Jennie known she would be signing up for an emotional rollercoaster, the stubborn brunette would've graciously passed on the opportunity to make more money. But as the days passed, she had slowly changed and become more of a gang member than she realized.

She used to think he was so brutal and cold, but Tae was actually the most soft-hearted member of Bangtan. Her judgments were the only thing that had gotten in the way of that.

"I love you." The thief breathed when she pulled away from him. "You're not ready to say it back, so please don't. I get it, you're under a lot right now. I used to have a hard time waiting for people, but now...Taehyung, I'll wait for however long you want me to."

"There's a reason Lee Taeyong is so protective over you." He whispered in response. "You're one in a million, Jennie Kim."

a/n: i hope you can inference what happens next :3 but omg wow. this book is literally almost done, like 3-4 more chapters left it's honestly so crazy

i started this book around fall of 2018 and it just received so much love and support, the plot line wasn't even all that great — but i thank you so much for sticking with my indecisiveness ❤️ peace and love my sexies you guys are the most amazing people i have come across by far luv u