Chapter 26 cont'd

A time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build. A time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance.” Ecclesiastes 3:3-4
______________________________________

Matt's POV

After half an hour, everyone else arrived and we began our full celebrations.

Miss Hilga started with a simple toast, and everyone added on, one by one, to her wishes.

“A toast... to the new orphanage!” she announced proudly, and then continued down the line.

When it became my turn, I still wasn't sure of what to say. I stayed thinking, as my mind went blank, and Doe stifled her laughter.

“A toast...” I raised my glass, “TO JUSTICE!”

The faces around the table looked confused, before Doe cleared the air.

“...Amen.” she added, “And to new relationships.”

I raised my glass to that, and everyone else followed. Seated beside me was Isaiah, and Hannah was opposite to him. The two were very fond of each other, and I was happy for the both of them.

I leaned in to Doe, “And a toast to the contract?”

She smiled, clinking her glass with mine, “To the contract.”

We all had our various meals, laughing and carrying on as always.

Isaiah popped open several bottles of wine at once, showing off to the rest of us.

“Take a seat,” I yanked his shirt, and Hannah laughed.

In the middle of the meal, Doe flashed her phone screen under the table, showing me the time. It was nearly half seven. I was having too much fun, but it was time for me to go.

I nodded at her, and she gave me an innocent 'thumbs-up'.

“I'll be back!” I shot up from the table, startling a few of the volunteers.

“Matthew...where are you headed to?” Ol'Higgs squinted at me.

I swore that she felt the need to keep a close eye on me.

“I said... I'll be back!” I dusted off, pushing in my chair, “Enjoy the meantime.”

I gave my friend Isaiah a pat on his shoulder, then slipped out of the restaurant. On my final glance before walking away, I saw Doe laughing about something with her mom. God. I would have killed to see that smile everyday. To wake up to it each morning and not have to worry about anything else. Doe was happy. But, I wasn't. Not yet.

I arrived at the Autism Foundation minutes before the visitors' closing time.

“I'm here to see Mr. Baker,” I told the receptionist as she picked up the small landline, “He isn't expecting me.”

A while after, I heard an office door open and I looked up from my seat.

“Adler! You're back again?” Baker yelled across the room.

“Sir, this time's a little different.”

Mr. Baker offered me the seat opposite to him, once again. My back was to the office door.

“Want a drink?” he leaned back.

“No thanks, Sir. That's dangerous.”

He laughed, “How so?”

“Cause,” I shrugged, “I might admit something I don't want to.”

I laid the contract before him and he glanced at me, shocked.