Chapter 18

Matt's POV

I felt awful about last night. Maybe. I didn't know. My thoughts were all over the place and my actions were corresponding.

The next morning, I functioned on a lack of sleep. I was irritable and highly confused. I avoided any contact with Doe, waiting for her to leave the room before I got any breakfast.

I paced the room back and forth until the time was right to storm out the door and march my way to the orphanage.

The community centre was now ours, bought for 680k instead of the 700k I had suggested. Carla and the other members of the committee hadn't even listened to my advice, which turned me ballistic.

As if things couldn't have gotten any worse, Helen showed up promptly at eleven - right when she was expected - with another big-headed specialist.

Doe was already occupied in the kitchen with a batch of mac n' cheese when I knocked on the steel door.

“Yes?” she turned around as I opened it, then grumbled when she saw me.

The room was steaming, but Doe made it look effortless. Her forehead merely glowed with sweat as she held a tight grip on the large grater and block of cheese.

“Jack's about to -”

“You've been ignoring me all day.” Doe interrupted, without facing me.

“So?”

She sighed, pausing her work to look closely at me. I could see some resentment in her eyes as she carefully approached me.

“Are you fine?” she shrugged, looking up to meet my eyes.

Doe's arms were crossed and she held a firm glare.

“No,” I admitted, looking down at her.

She wasn't extremely shorter than me, but I definitely had to look down to read those deep, obscure eyes.

My jaw twitched. There was something else I needed to tell her, “I feel -”

“Know you try hard to be lonely,” she read my face, “Matthew.”

I couldn't find the words after that. Actually, I had been rendered speechless. I gave Doe a small nod and backed away, leaving her to work. I heard her suck her teeth as I exited.

I couldn't tell which of us was more frustrated.

                              &&&

“Do I need this?”

Jackley held up a small book to my face as I squinted to read the title.

“Jack and The Beanstalk?” I speculated, “... Definitely.”

We were in the boys' bedroom gathering his few things. Miss Hilga and Helen remained in deep conversation in the office. I was glad I wasn't called into the tight space again.

Jackley's eyes were still bright, and he acted partially oblivious to the situation. I knew that he knew. It must have just been very peculiar for him. Which was funny, as peculiar as Jack was.

I stuffed a few more items like snacks and crayons into his backpack, then slid it across the floor towards him.

“I...have to go,” he tapped his naked wrist, announcing like it was something new.

“Yeah I know,” I smoothed back his hair and he returned the gesture, analysing my scalp.

This orphan had been the one to bring a smile to my face. He brought out a few of my... better traits, too. All I had done was try to protect him. In a way, that was all.