Chapter 14 cont'd

Doe's POV

Matthew's smile was hands-down, my favourite thing about him.

We had spent the last hour at 'Le Mange'. The crowd was moving slowly until it hit 9PM, which was the peak time for the restaurant. Matthew was slowly finishing up his shrimp pelau, one of the restaurant's top selling dishes. I had the shepherd's pie, but was more eager for the dessert.

My sweet tooth honestly couldn't wait.

“What do you think I should have...?” I scanned through the upgraded dessert menu.

There were a few items I hadn't tried, or made, yet. I didn't even know the kitchen staff had added to the list.

Matthew had a look of disapproval, then gently pushed away his plate of food.

I put the menu down.

“What is it?”

“I don't like it,” he shrugged, “I just don't understand.”

I laughed, “You don't 'understand' a plate of food?”

“Nope.”

Matthew and I had been spending the majority of our time talking about our lives. Actually, I found out that Matthew's father was the one who installed any religious knowledge in him. Matthew explained that I had had it all wrong. It was mainly after his father's passing that religion became a shaky topic.

Nevertheless, that was all Matthew shared on that. I had no idea exactly who his father was or what he had died from. Matthew beat around the bushes. So, I left it at that.

“Doe...if you were something on this menu,” he began, “...You would be the coffee fudge.”

“Fudge?” I dipped my head slightly and he nodded, giving me second thoughts, “Actually, yeah. I would be.”

After a few minutes of deliberation, Matthew convinced himself to try the roquefort cheesecake.

He could have barely pronounced it, as he searched for my clarification.

“Oh... roquefort?” I stirred my drink with a straw.

“What's that?” Matthew passed his hand through his hair.

“It's a kind of cheese,” I explained as the waiter came by, “Like a soft cheese.”

Our dishes took a while to arrive, and we used the time to our advantage.

“So...” I teased, “Who's paying for all this?”

He leaned back, raising a brow, “I...dunno. I guess we'll see.”

I laughed a trillion times that night. Passers-by probably thought we were a couple of drunkards spending our last few. Still, I didn't regret it.

“...Though Ashley and I have always been close,” I spoke to Matthew as a waitress offered him more water.

“Yeah?” he chuckled, then paused to say thanks, “Well it's her fault I know you.”

I rolled my eyes, “Go thank her.”

A warm smile found it's way onto Matthew's face, even after he had tried to fight it.

When the waiter placed our desserts before us, I beamed at the dark-coloured piece of fudge.

“Thank you.” Matthew and I said in unison, then he subtly gave his cake slice a whiff.

The building was now really busy, groups of persons buzzing in and out. The orange lights were dimmed a bit near the dining area but the bar was still brightly lit.