Chapter 25

Doe's POV

“Roseline, there's someone out front for you.”

I took a break from storing away the pots and pans, and dusted myself off. I already knew who was waiting for me. I rushed to the door. Once I found the courage, I grabbed the handle, swung it open, and revealed the sweetest surprise.

“Rose...!” my mother screamed, sprinting in and tangling me in her arms.

We stood rocking in each other's arms and squealing like best friends meeting up for the first time.

Well, in a way we were.

After nearly a decade of ups and downs, we would finally get to see each other more often. My mom was financially stable, renting an apartment in the capital city two hours away. She was skilled in cuisine, just like me. Or, more accurately, I was just like her.

When I looked up from her blouse, I spotted Matthew in the far corner, looking on. Our eyes met.

“Now's not a good time?” he mouthed.

“Come here.” I motioned to him, and he hesitated.

My mother and I let go, looking into each other's eyes. She looked as young as ever, hitting only forty-two earlier that same month - April. Her natural hair sat on her head as a crown of glory, and she was as curvy as she had been in her twenties. Her skin was gold. Mama had always said that us black people were most excited to age.

“How has it been?” I smiled, and Matthew appeared in the corner of my eye, walking toward us.

“Baby, it hasn't been all that. I've missed you,” she pinched the bridge of her nose and I hugged her once more.

I was so glad that she had reached out to me.

Matt stood some distance away and so I decided to do the honors.

“Mom, this is Matthew...” I beamed, “And... Well, Matthew this is my mom.”

Matt extended his arm politely but my mom grabbed it and pulled him into a hug. She nearly killed him, as I watched him tense then relax, returning the embrace. My mom held him like she would her own son, and honestly, I was growing kinda jealous.

After ages, they let go and Matthew let out a thoughtful sigh.

“So when's the wedding?”

“We're not engaged, ma!” I yelled out, clenching my fists.

“Oh honey,” Mama paused, “Not yet.”

I glanced at Matt and he chuckled, fixing his collar.

“How may I call you?” he questioned, pleasantly taking her handbag.

“Hadassa... Ms. Alvarez... anything works.”

My mom took it open herself to venture further into the building, wandering into the kitchen and leaving us at the front.

“You have your mother's surname?” Matthew whispered as we followed after her.

“My parents were never married.” I stated and he shook his head in disbelief.

Reaching the dining room, Matt placed the heavy bag on the only empty table. I brought my mom over and we sat side by side.

“My God...” Matt glanced between us, “Splitting image.”

We turned to face each other and I laughed. I did resemble my mom. She scrunched up her nose, playfully inspecting me.

“I hate to intervene...” Matt spoke up again, “But Ms. Alvarez, I'm afraid I'll need to borrow your daughter for just a second.”