Chapter 10

Matt's POV

"This is beginning to get really boring."

I laid across the floor and scrolled through my phone. After a hectic week, each volunteer was finally being given a day off. It was Saturday, so I was uninterested in staying put.

Doe was still in her pyjamas, fully taking advantage of how late she had gotten to wake up. She hung off the edge of the bed, reading to herself.

When she didn't acknowledge me, I cleared my throat and once again expressed my boredom. Doe turned to face me.

"What do you want to do?" she asked, skippily.

I thought hard, then pulled up an idea on my phone.

"We could go here," my face lit up.

There was a rollerskating rink nearby that had opened a few years ago. It held alot of memories with the most of us, especially the graduating class of three years ago. I recalled slipping out of any Science class to go there with friends from different schools. It had been a while.

I waited years for Doe's validation.

"Oh. This?" she finally spoke up, reaching out her arm to return the device, "It looks dead."

I folded my arms, "Okay, we could go get something to eat. There are plenty meal trucks on site and a restaurant."

I heard her sigh, then admit, "I can't skate."

"No wonder I never used to see you around there," I shook my head, "During our last year, I mean."

"Oh yeah. Also cause when you went, I was stayed put in school."

I deserved that.

We tried bringing along anyone else we knew but they had all made plans from before. Doe and I seemed to be the only ones who slept in late, only now deciding how to spend the day.

"Is it far?" Doe held up two black jeans, speculating between the two.

"Not if you run," I joked and her mouth turned to a frown.

I opened the small closet near the television, and pulled out an old shirt. Like routine, I prepared the iron, laying out the board in the small corner that was my room and got to work.

Like any other guest place, they were kind enough to provide an iron, at least.

"...So we're ironing things now?" Doe's voice startled me.

"It's been here for some time," I smile sarcastically and she went on to rummage through her drawers.

Doe glanced between me and a top she now held in one hand.

"Just hand it to me," I chuckled and she plunged it in my direction, suddenly.

The blouse fell to my feet and I groaned to pick it up.

Nearly half an hour later, I was ready and waiting at the empty receptionist's desk. I heard an all too familiar screech down the hallway. There was a random young woman, and Jack who called my name and latched onto my leg.

Great, now he's attached.

The lady apologised but I couldn't understand what for.

"That's fine," I  squatted to get a better look at him.

Jackley made his way closer to me and began climbing into my lap. I ruffled his hair and asked about his day so far.

"Good, but I'm hungry," he responded.