Chapter 3

Doe's POV

A week after our first visit to the orphanage, Matthew and I returned. We took temporary leaves on our separate jobs - his which included the usual salary. I arrived before him, around 4 pm, after he called and said that he got held back.

So, I sat outside the orphanage and waited with another volunteer.

She took my hand and smiled, revealing her adult braces.

"I'm Hannah. By the way, you're so pretty."

Hannah's straight hair neighboured with her waist and swayed with every movement she took. My fellow volunteer glared with the biggest, bluest eyes.

I smiled, "My name's Roseline...so are you."

The redhead and I bonded over the fact that we'd be working in the kitchen together. Surprisingly, she couldn't even remember the last time she had scrambled eggs. I left that where it was, for the best.

"So how'd you reach here?" she asked me, inspecting herself in a compact mirror.

"A friend drove me," I shrugged, referring to Ash.

The other OCF members had already settled down in their respective projects. Ash was placed in an old aged home, along with her brother.

"Ah," Hannah nodded slowly, applying a lot more lipstick than she needed.

"It's an orphanage," I laughed, "Why would you even -"

"Some of those volunteers are sweet," she admitted, shamelessly.

At that moment, an out-of-breath and sweaty Matthew appeared before us, carrying a duffle bag. His shirt was noticeably unironed and he sported ruffled hair.

"Like him," Hannah hinted me, then squinted, "What's your name, again?"

"Matthew," he tried to look cool, leaning on the wall, "Hey."

I rolled my eyes.

The volunteers gathered in the same large room once again. There weren't as many as last time, which led me to believe there were some early quitters. It added up, given that the past week was filled with interviews and forms.

Miss Hilga briefed the rest of us on rules and regulations. Then, everyone was assigned to separate living quarters.

Everyone except Matthew and me. Of course.

"Your friend Ashley didn't apply for either of you to stay at our guest quarters, but she emailed me this address." Miss Hilga pulled us aside and revealed a small strip of paper with writing. "It's nearby, just walking distance down the hill. Ta-ta."

Matthew took the paper from her wrinkled, trembling hands and sighed.

"What do you think of this?" I whispered to him, as the crowd of eagers buzzed out.

He cursed under his breath, then looked at me, " It's crap."

Miss Hilga shuffled back into the now empty room with her logbook.

"We start first thing in the morning," she spoke to us from across the room, "Good evening."

She switched off the lights as if we weren't still there and left. I was in utter shock.

"We start first thing in the morning," Matthew mimicked the woman's tone.

"Good evening." I joined in, and he stifled a laugh.

After, Matthew picked up our belongings and took my hand.

He cleared his throat, "Let's go."

I didn't want him to hold me. His touch was ice.