Chapter 11

Doe's POV

The next morning, I was up before Matthew for the first time.

My day started off with me cracking eggs and mixing oats and milk. Just enough to feed everyone- orphan, staff and volunteer alike. There were six other skilled people at work with me. Because of the early morning, the heat in the kitchen hadn't settled in as yet. Thank God.

Hannah walked in, half an hour late.

“Are you alright?” I looked up, carefully slicing a few breakfast rolls.

“Lord, I'm fine.” her voice was still traced with distress, “Give me something to do.”

My co-worker threw on her wrinkled aprons and pulled a hairnet tight over her thick bun. Before I could respond with any suggestions, Hannah rushed into the freezer room, re-appearing with a crate of eggs.

“Is it scrambled...or boiled?” she stood at the other end of the counter.

“Scrambled.”

I wasn't too focused on our conversation, but more on the fact that I had somewhere to be in a few hours time.

“What did you guys do Saturday?” she measured a bottle cap of oil.

“We went to some rollerskating park Matthew knew about,” I replied, “We carried Ava.”

“Aw, that's lame...How long have you and Matthew known each other for?” she waited for the stove's burner to fully light.

“A few years. But we're just... friends,” I nearly choked out.

Hannah poured the egg mixture into a now hot frying pan, causing it to go wild. At this point, I was finished assembling a variety of sandwiches. I plated everything on a large, silver tray and made my way outside. As I rested the platter on the nearest counter outside, I heard the door open and a very familiar voice.

“Oh, there she is!” Matthew's words echoed throughout the entire room, and every female turned around.

I groaned and approached him, only now seeing little Jackley who was clutching his wrist. I softly observed the pair with concern.

“Can I help you lovebirds?” I asked, clearing my throat.

“No, we can help ourselves. But thanks.”

I ignored Matthew and took Jackley by his hand. I carried him over to the counter, lifting him up so he could see his options.

“Where are the noodles?” he put up his hands and peered at me.

“That's all he eats, Doe.” Matthew took three of the sandwiches into his plate, and left to find a seat.

Jackley followed him, shuffling on the cold ground.

I prepared his favourite meal, and a mug of oatmeal for Matthew. When I carried everything over to their table, Jack immediately picked up his spork.

“Thank you,” Matthew paused eating his sandwich and brought the hot mug closer to him.

“No problem,” I smiled at Jackley, who returned my gesture.

As I was walking away from the table, I could feel Matthew's striking eyes still on me, burning through my skin. I glanced back at him, right before going through the kitchen doors. He dodged my eye contact at first, but then reconsidered, latching on.

What felt like years later, I found myself hustling to get dressed for our update meeting at the OCF. Matthew showered again, given that he was outside playing football with Jack, Isaiah and three other orphans the last hour. I assumed he got bored mid-way, when he decided to put on his own Broadway show in the bathroom. Matthew had a horrible singing voice. Tone deaf. But the emotion was all there.