A whole new world

Crysotic:

It was my 16th birthday. Today i would become appointed official prince of Atlantis, and the next in line for the throne. Today, I will be getting the mask.

The mask serves as the crown for the prince. As ling as I am still prince, I cannot take off the mask. Its not only a royal tradition, but it is to prove that whoever becomes my princess will love me not for my looks. Everyone in the Royal family has incredibly amazing looks, and it is to hide that about me.

Before today, I was not allowed to leave the palace. not a soul but family knows what i look like. Now that I'm prince, I can leave the castle and wander around the ocean!

It was finally time to be coronated. My younger brother, Nathan, came to my room, holding the mask in his hands. He looked up at me at smiled brightly. "Good Luck Ryan!!" he swam up to me and hugged me tightly. "Oh stop it you! and you know as of today, your supposed to call me Cryaotic!" I told him jokingly. yes it was true though. after today, my name will be changed to Cryaotic and I won't be called Ryan anymore.

He Swam behind me with the mask and tied the strings behind my head, making sure the mask wouldn't slip or move on my face at all. "I'm going to miss seeing your face Ry-Cry....." Nathan said in a sad tone. I grabbed him and hugged him. "well once i become king, I can take it off again~!" I told him. Suddenly, a loud horn sounded throughout the castle, signaling it was time for my 'party'. Nathan sighed and swam quickly out of my room. I followed suit and came to a large corridor where many of the citizens sat waiting for their prince. I smiled to myself, fixing my mask to fit my face a bit better. It was time. this will be my kingdom soon.

~~~Time skip after he was crowned blah blah~~~

I needed to be free, I need to Explore. It felt good to be outside of the castle, to finally feel free. I swam out of the kingdom, earning a few congratulations from fellow citizens along the way. I exited the gates, seeing no mermaid or merman in sight. I wonder why. maybe because Humans couldn't get into Atlantis without being with one of its citizens. Anywhere outside the gates was free to be roamed by humans.

I Don't know why merfolk hate humans so much. I've heard storeys about them and how they kill fish and all that shit, But is it really different from what we do? they are just trying to survive. I don't have any intention of learning or becoming part of the human world, but it still intrigues me.

I swam out into more open waters, closer to the shore of some place called Italy. I didn't know what it looked like, I mean I've never even broke the waters surface before. But something caught my attention. A body sinking not to far from me. I swam up to it closely and inspected it. It was a Man, maybe 14 or 15, he was no way older than me, but not so young as to be 13 or any younger. He had medium blondish caramel hair and pail skin. his face decorated with light stubble. I noticed his clothing. He didn't have a tail, but legs wrapped in a strange fabric, and a shirt made of the same material. I felt the need to save him. I grabbed him and gave him CPR, having his shoot open in fear at me. He tried to struggle, but didn't seem to have enough energy. I pulled him quickly to the surface of the water. I noticed his eyes were a bright crystal blue.

"A- a mermaid!!" he stuttered out as I pulled him to the shore. He spoke English, but had a thick accent, not Italian though. "yeah I am I guess... well I'm actually a man," He blushed and muttered something in another language. "what was that friends?" He looked at me then back at my tail that was kicking us through the cold water. "I said I'm sorry... I'm Swedish and I'm not the best with English...." he muttered to me. I finally pulled us up onto the cool sand, but as i tried to drag myself back into the water, I felt the boys hand grab my arm. "Wait, I w-wanna talk to you?" he shouted. "Im Felix." he tld me. I finally decided to slide myslef back to sit by him. "Im Ry- I mean Im Cry." I told him in resonse. He smiled brightly at me and stared at my tail and gills and fins decorating my arms and torso.

"your fins are really pretty." he commented. yes, I do admit to myself I had a very nice set of fins and a tail. they were blue and green and had a weird quality that made the colors tint into each other. He began to play with the blue-green scales that were decorated on my stomach right above my tail line. "these ones look like gems..." he muttered to me. I laughed at his comment and he looked up at my face. "your ears are weird too," I pulled my webbed hand to my ears. they were webbed as well, just like the fins on my sides and arms. "why do you wear a mask?" I heard him ask hesitantly. "Its a requirement for me as the......" a trailed off. I couldnt tell him I was prince. "....as a citizen of Atlantis." He looked at me in awe. "YOU LIVE IN ATLANTIS!?" he shouted exitedly. I nodded and he started messing with my mask.

"It looks like the 'sup guy face with blue scales on the sides~!" He sang to me. "'sup guy?" I asked him. "yeah! hes all over the internet! hes just a little white armless guy with a big head and an expressionless face~! he actually pretty cute!" I giggled at his enthusiasm. "well I should get going now..." I trailed off. "wait!" he called again. "Can you come see me again tomorrow? Same time same place!" I nodded at him. It was late in th nght already, no one else would be out at this time. "deal" I said and he smiled widely. I waved him goodbye and slid back into the water.

As I was swimming back to my kingdom, all I could think about was that cute little guy I had saved and my new found interest for the human world. This should be fun.....