Chapter 10: The Setup

A week had passed. I laid on the couch, unaware about the private talk between Dust and Ink. I had senses of what it was about, but couldn't confirm. Nor could I know if Ink believes Dust or not. So, I laid on a couch, playing with my strings. Beats being in the anti-void. But then I remember something from two days earlier.

I had seen that Ink was seeming down, two days after he and Dust supposedly talked. He didn't reply when anyone asked him what was wrong. He then came over and did something strange. His color was gone from his eyes and face. He gave me his brush and viAl sash. That's when I realized something was bad and wrong. He left, saying to check on OuterTale. I opened my portal to see what he was doing. I followed him to find him at the cliff. Then he saw some asteroids flying by and bent his knees. He was gonna jump at one! He was gonna get himself hurt! Hurt enough to die! Was that possible with being soulless? Had to be if he's trying this! Right as he was about to jump, I summon my strings and lasso him, then pull him close to me.

"DoN't dO tHat agAin! EVerYonE cArEs aBoUt Ya! I Do! InKy, plEaSe, dOn'T TrY iT aGaIn! WHat iS eVEn cAuSinG yOu TO Do tHIs?"I tell him

"A...A nightmare. Then I woke up to find a message from Fresh.....I was scared of it becoming real....I'm sorry!"Ink cries

I hug him then bring him back while he cried and calms down. He then hid away in his room. I haven't heard anything since.

Once I was done going down memory lane, I returned to playing with my strings. I've seen Ink pass me and has regained his paintbrush, sash, and confidence. Blue, Dream, and Dust are clueless about the incident. I saw Ink when he was trying to wander around, but that was now hours ago. I was back to my usual clothes but kept the scarf in my pocket and the outfit in the guest room. Ya never know when you'll have to hide your face. I kept the puppet of Ink in the other pocket.

Dust came over, seeming serious. He's rarely serious, usually joke-like and such. I stop what I was doing and make my strings disappear. Dust grabs me by the arm and forces me to stand. I ask him what's going on and gets him to release me.

"Blue says that Ink wants to speak to you in OuterTale. Seems important as far as I know."Dust says

I froze as my mind tried to find a reason Ink would want to talk there. It seemed a bit intimidating and got the importance part across since if it weren't so important,  he probably would've told me here. It was worrying.

"O-OkAy, I'lL gO."I say, opening a portal and going through

I sit down in a grassy part of land floating in the atmosphere of Outertale. I take the puppet of Ink out.

"WhAt c0uLd YoU wAnT?"I whisper, though knew that it wouldn't give the answer

I sigh and lay down, tucking the puppet away. I began to wait.It was silent as usual. Time seemed to pass and I couldn't see Ink anywhere. I was beginning to wonder if Dust tricked me when I heard a familiar voice. Ink's voice.

"Blue! Q-Quit shoving! You still have to explain what's going on!"Ink shouts

"I've already told you! You're just trying to stall! Now go, or I, the Magnificent Sans, will continue to shove!"Blue's voice says

"F-Fine! Cya, Blue! I promise if this is some trick, you'll pay!"Ink snaps

"Ok! Bye and Good luck! Mwehehe!"Blue says

There was the sound of a portal closing, then footsteps. Then there were whispers.

"What could you want? Heh, how silly. I'm speaking to a puppet. It won't answer me."I hear Ink whisper

I stay silent. I sit up and look around. I see Ink come into view, but in a different outfit. He seemed to have spotted me as well because he quickly tucks the puppet of me away. I make sure the puppet of him is tucked away as well. I put my glasses on. As he walks closer, I notice more details of him. His vials were around his wrists. His eyes were the usual star and oval. But even though he had a giant scarf still, he was different.....