I step into the shower, the hot water cascading down my body, instantly soothing my stresses. I placed my phone on the cabinet with my music playing — it's the only way I willingly judge my time, by songs. I grudge setting alarms and having to constantly check my phone. Music is probably one of my favourite pass times, my favourite escape. My thoughts are interrupted by my phone ringing, cutting my music off.

"Oh, come on." I groan, rolling my eyes and patiently waiting for it to ring out — which it does. Then it rings again, and again. I sigh under my breath, turning off the water and wrapping a towel around my body. I reluctantly pick up my phone and slide to answer.

"Hello?" I say lowly, my voice coming out a little harsher than I intended.

"Amara?" The voice on the other line responds, almost confused—probably at my harsh tone. I should really work on it, but I probably won't.

Old habits die hard.

I recognise the voice almost immediately, Jacob. "Jake, hey! Sorry, you caught me off guard." I half lie, I really need to save his number after this call, why am I always so unorganised?

"I just wanted to check you were still available for our date tonight, unless you've made other arrangements?" he mumbles over the line. I scrunch up my nose at his formal language, he speaks like somebody from a Shakespeare play. I find myself hoping that isn't how he speaks all of the time, especially if I'm going to go on a date with him. I internally cringe at the mention of the date, I only agreed because I felt too guilty to say no.

"I'm still coming, unless you've found another brunette to take with you." I say jokingly.

"No, of course not!" his tone is serious and panicked, my sarcasm went straight over his head, as I assumed it would. I can only hope my sense of humour doesn't clash with his, if he has one.

"If you say so, I'll see you at six." I chuckle, ending the call. I quickly enjoy the rest of my shower before procrastinating some more, eating, scrolling through videos on my phone, listening to music. I dry my hair and straighten it to minimize how frizzy it is, before applying makeup and picking out the first dress I found in my closet. It's plain black, rests just above my knees with straps that cross over my back. As I fumble to get my shoes on, I hear the doorbell ring.

"Damn it." I mumble under my breath frustratedly.

"Hold on a second!" I yell from my bedroom, hoping he somehow has supersonic hearing and heard that all the way from the front steps.

I walk to the door, opening it to find a rather awkward Jake. He steps inside while I grab my jacket and bag, looking extremely uncomfortable as his eyes scan the room.

"Don't worry, I won't bite." I laugh, praying he finds slight humour in it and doesn't take my obvious joke seriously.

He smiles and chuckles slightly in response, it's good to know my humour isn't completely foreign to him.

"Aren't your parents home?" he adds, looking around the room once more with a perplexed look on his face.

"No, my mom isn't home."

"And your dad?" he asks, biting his lip afterwards indicating he regretted asking the question.

"Little intrusive, don't you think?" I furrow my brow with an awkward laugh.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have asked." he apologises, not knowing where to look.

"We better go." I shrug, walking to the door. Hopefully he loosens up a little.

I'm automatically awkward due to the questions he asked. In reality, it wasn't an absurd question. Maybe a little intrusive, but unintentionally I'm sure. I've never met my dad, and from what I've heard, thats a good thing. The car ride to the restaurant is filled with silence, the only source of sound being from the radio station Jake turned on, discussing all things football. Thankfully, we arrive outside a lot sooner than I expected.