Chapter 18, The Pain We Hide

Jade~

'Just go find out from him,' she said. She could have just said I need you to leave if that's what she wanted. Why send me on a wild goose chase. I checked his favourite club, which was impossible for me to get in at my age. Anyway, I went to any possible place he could be at, after giving up, I decided to wait at his house for him.

My calls go straight to voice-mail. Dean switched his damn phone off. Robyn wouldn't even tell me what the issue is about, which has me guessing that he and Monica had a huge fight. There's a good chance that she murdered my best friend. Dean has a tendency of pissing the wrong people off. Heck, I nearly killed him five times if you don't count the times he drove with me. I check the time every minute like a fool. It's already 10 p.m. I was slowly falling off to sleep, but I stayed strong.

I jerked up when I heard the front door bang, well not bang, more like someone trying to get in. That someone is trying his hardest to fit the key into the door.  I can tell it's Dean by his mumbling. So I opened for him, "Stop drinking there's more to life than drinking and partying all the time." I snapped.

"Like what?" He muttered with a slur.

"I don't know, living, traveling, and going for adventures," I explained, trying to help him through the door, but he pushed me away, stumbling to the ground, hugging before trying to get up.

"No, that's what you think, but I've been through..." Dean paused for a moment, but it was long enough to bring awkwardness to the silence. "You supposed to be my friend, but you didn't even realise how unhappy I am, " he continued.

"But you have a girlfriend now, " I interjected, helping him on his feet. This time he didn't fight it.

"That didn't change anything about what I'm going through." 

"What are you going through, Dean? " I yelled.

"You won't understand how it is to be in a home that expects you to be someone you not. To... to have everything lived out for you. Dean do this, Dean, don't do this. Dean live like this, be more like a businessman, girls are a distraction... "

"Dean!" I interjected.

"Study hard and became a lawyer. At least you made a good choice of befriending the famous lawyer's nephew, now learn from her, "He continued.

I called out again.

"They don't even care about what I want. What I want to be..."

"Dean! " I shout.

He stops as I caught his attention, "I want to be a cop, not a damn ass lawyer. Catch the bad guys not helping them escape," he continues, rambling like I'm not here, talking more to himself than me. "I want to live my life. That's why I go clubbing every night behind my parent's back. To be me for once, to live my way."

"Your way is effed up. " I mused.

"I know, but it helps numb the pain, " he answered. He surprisingly answered before stumbling past me down the corridor floor like how Spider-Man crawls walls. I hit my head. I'll come back tomorrow. I turn to the door twisting the cold knob when I hear a loud thud.

Damn, Dean, I find my way to his room. There's the drunk idiot. How could that noise not wake his parents up? Lifting him is going to be a drag again. I grab his hand. It's ice-cold, but I didn't take note of that, counting to three before taking a deep breath, forcing all my energy to pick him up, but he doesn't even budge his dead weight. Maybe it's the alcohol that's weighing him down. My hands started shaking as I noticed his choking on his vomit, his eyes rolling backward and not the casual eye roll, the pure white eyes that makes you think that he's possessed. He's uncontrollably shaking. His skin pale and blue. His breathing extremely slow. Is he even alive?

"Dean! Wake up! Somebody call an ambulance! " I cried. "Please don't let anything happen to him, " I begged god. "Dean, wake up," I yelled, "call the damn ambulance somebody! "

Dean's parents barged into the room, still dazed. His mom had her phone in her hand, already dialing." Oh dear, don't just stand there check him his having a seizure," she ordered, nudging her still half asleep husband. He rushed to check Dean's breathing, "inform the paramedic that it could be alcohol poisoning," he advised in a calm voice, "Jade, help me turn him on his side," he ordered.

I obliged, not only because Dean's dad is a doctor but because I want to save Dean at any cost. I'll even go as far as mouth to mouth. Who am I kidding? If it comes to that, then I'm sorry, Dean, it was nice knowing you.

*********

It's kind of sickening seeing the hospital filled at 2 a.m. A major accident has occurred, or so I've heard.

I should have been a good friend. I never did listen or pay attention. Maybe if I did, then this wouldn't have happened. I can't believe that even when he was in that state, I failed to listen yet again. I'm an evil friend. Dean's mom tried to comfort me by saying that Dean would be okay. Sarah's hair was a mess, and her eyes were bloodshot red. It's been two hours since our last update.

"Sarah," Dean's dad called after he left Dean's room. Sarah said something to him leading him to sigh heavily before summoning me.

"How is Dean," I asked anxiously.

"he is stable now, I was right, alcohol poisoning, he should be okay," Dean's dad explained, "that's if he wakes up."

I could barely speak, 'if he wakes up,' the doctor says. Well, he better wake up. If he doesn't, I'll kill him. That's right, no one can kill him besides me, you heard death.

" How is Dean? What happened? Is he okay? " Monica asked shooting questions one after the other when she arrived, her face filled with shock and eyes barely containing her tears.

Dean's dad ignored her questions. "Go home, Jade, and take her with you. I'll call you if there's any change."

"Okay," I said the same time Monica said," I'm not leaving."

Monica cleared her throat," we're not leaving," she steely said, giving me death glares.

"Yeah, we are not... leaving," I agreed.

Dean's dad shook his head, "it's going to be a long wait."

"I will stay here as long as needed," she insisted, grabbing a seat and shoving me to sit next to her.

Dean's dad let out a heavy sigh, rested his hand on his wife's shoulder before disappearing back down the hallway towards Dean's room. No one but Sarah could see him at the moment. It was a downright agony for Monica and me, loitering around the waiting area, anxious to hear any news on Dean. This is why I wanted to leave.

I added creamer to mines, and Monica's hoping a nice cup of coffee would lighten the mood. I walked back to my seat beside her. She was staring straight ahead, her elbows on her knees with her head in her hands, her blond hair covering her face. She jerked up quickly, wiping her tears before looking at me as I passed her the hot cup of coffee that I knew she'd take with no intention of drinking it.

Hours later, Aunt Sarah quickly called us into the room. Monica pushed past me and, throws herself on Dean in tears, praying for his recovery. " Dean, I'm sorry this is all my fault. If I hadn't," Monica wailed, "then you'd still be fine."

A Tube ran down Dean's throat with a whole lot of needles were stuck in him. "The doctor said that he's going to be okay if he wakes up," I said, trying to comfort her. It didn't work, she just burst into more tears.

"For god sake, he isn't dead as yet, " aunt Sarah scoffed. She was right Dean wasn't dead, he was still fighting.

"We should be strong for him," I advised.

"Fucking get up! " Dean's mom cried, shaking her son's body. Okay, maybe she's lost it.

"that's enough, clear the room," Dean's father ordered, hushing his wife and us out of the room.