Chapter 16, Actions Always Have Consequences

Jade~

It's just afternoon, I know that I should eat, but I'm struggling with how I should react to my dad's death. He was dead to me already. He left us. He left mom because he didn't love her anymore. There's no such thing as love, and if there is, then it's just a phase. Once that spark goes, that's when you find the next victim, a new host. Love is basically a parasite.

I somehow managed to push away everyone close to me, including my mom and Robyn. I have no time to be weak. I hate being vulnerable. When Robyn slapped me, all the emotions that were spiraling in me became clear. My stomach growls, vibrates? Oh, wait, my annoying phone. Who could that be?

"Hello?"

"Ja, Jade?" Robyn said, her voice hoarse and soft.

"what's wrong?"

"My gran... My granny died, just a few moments ago. I didn't know who else to call."

The line went silent after my finger happily ended the call. My mind doesn't have time to deal with this drama again. But it weighed on me. I should mind, she's my friend.

" Maybe she's lying," doubt whispered. Could it be a coincidence, after my dad's funeral, or is she seeking attention?

"What if she's telling the truth?"

Before my mind could comprehend what my body did, I was already on my way to her house. She had to be two blocks from me. If she were a mile away, I wouldn't come. "I would," inner me said. I ignored him/me.

Robyn was staring at me through her bedroom with eyes red and puffy. She rushed to open the front door for me, "when you cut the call, I thought you didn't want anything to do with me," she stated, her voice still hoarse.

"yet here I am, at your doorstep," I steely replied.

"need permission to come in," she tried to joke, but tears roll down her cheeks. My hand reacted on its own to wipe them off, stupid simp ass hand.

She needs a hug. What if she punches me again? Don't be stupid. Just hug her. And I'm arguing with myself yet again. I'm a lost cause.

"anyway, come in," Robyn awkwardly motioned.

I entered, wondering if I'll end up bumping into her dad, "are they here?" I hesitantly blurted. "who, oh my parents. They still at the hospital. They phone and told..." she began to wail.

I hugged her as she cried on my chest, soaking my shirt. I roll my eyes but slightly smiled.

" I'm sorry for messing your clothes," she wailed, still dissolving in more tears.

"don't worry about that, you-" I dramatically paused, "ahem, I mean my maid will wash it."

Robyn snorts in between sobs, "you an idiot, you know that."

I locked eyes with hers and said, "well, you're stuck with this idiot for better or worse."

She wipes her eyes, "In sickness, in health," she replied, insisting I continue.

I shook my head," for richer, for poorer."

Robyn crunched her eyebrows and pulled out her tongue. She thought for a while and hesitated when she said, "I now pronou-"

" Till death does..." I interject.

Robyn shrugs," till death does us apart. " she blushed in embarrassment.

"I now pronounce you... Er," I look to Robyn for help in our ridiculous vows.

" I now pronounce you best friends for life," Robyn interjected, filled with excitement. My hand gently tilts her head up as I tentatively proceed to kiss her, but she puts her finger on my lips. "you may not kiss the friend! " she giggled.