Yaser averts his eyes from the television to his son with furrowed eyebrows, the wrinkles on his forehead overlapping each other. “A date?! With a boy?!”

“Dear, it’s no big deal! I think it’s wonderful!” retorts Mrs. Malik, trying to reason with her husband.

“Hell no! I don’t want some guy shoving his dick inside my son!” Yaser was at his feet at this point, inching closer and closer to Zayn.

“Dad, why would you think that? Liam’s not like that!” Zayn was getting defensive, hating how his father was making assumptions.

“You don’t think I see all the stares you get?! Every boy looks at you like a piece of meat! Of course all they want to do is fuck you! That’s all you good for nothing faggots care about!” The veins in Yaser’s neck were popping out, his anger becoming far more clear.

“Yaser! Stop it! You’re upsetting him! As Zayn’s mother, I give him permission to go on this date.” Trisha turns to Zayn and coos sweetly, “Go on love, you’re okay.”

Zayn smiles weakly and walks out the door, avoiding eye contact with his father the entire time. Wow, he actually stood up to his father. Okay, maybe not exactly, but he did voice his own opinion, which was a step-up for the quiet boy. He was so caught up in the bickering between his parents that he didn’t even noticed his missed calls from Liam. He sees his date pulled up in front of his house in an unfamiliar car, a cheeky grin on Liam’s face. Zayn waves and opens up the door, getting inside the vehicle. “Hi Li, sorry I took forever.”

“No worries. You look great.”

“Thanks, you do too?” Zayn’s reply was more of a question than an answer.

“Liar!” shouts Liam, laughing afterwards to show Zayn he was only joking.

“How are you, babe?” asks Liam to spark up a conversation while hitting the road and driving off.

Zayn’s heart flutters at what Liam just called him. Yes, it was common, but somehow it just meant so much more when Liam said it. “I’m fine. Um, Liam?”

“Hmm?” he hums in response.

“When did you get a car?”

Liam smirks, his wrist tilting the steering wheel as he explained himself. “I didn’t. I stole it. Just like Grand Theft Auto, eh?”

Zayn’s eyes widen, and he’d spit out water if he were drinking any. “You what?!”

“I’m kidding! It’s my mums,” he laughs, patting Zayn against the back. “She doesn’t know, of course.”

Zayn takes a breather. He needed to loosen up a little. “Well aren’t you the rebellious one, yeah? Where are we going anyways?” he questions.

Liam pulls on the turn signal switch and answers, “Kraves. I love their baked potatoes.”

“Alright.” Zayn scoots his legs up to his seat and crosses them as he tilts his head against the window. It was just dinner. He could make it through this.

~**~

“How can I help you fellas?” asks the waitress, perking up at finally having a customer. Tonight was rather empty and deserted for the restaurant.

“Hi, can I get a table for two?” says Liam, taking the initiative and Zayn liked that. He wanted someone to depend on, someone who could have control and take the wheel.

“Of course! Right this way gentlemen!” she chirps, sauntering down the aisle with two menus. She sets them down at a small table, allowing Liam and Zayn to have their seats. “Can I get you some drinks to start off?”