Mall Day!

This is a long chapter, one of if not my longest chapter, I believe. Just wanted to give you guys the heads up before you read it! I have also published another chapter in my Maigo headcannons book that may clear up a few things in this chapter! Hope you enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

  Shota is already very nervous. This would be the first time he could not be directly near Maigo while out in public. Although they had gone to the mall together before (both Nemuri and Hizashi had INSISTED on taking the girl to get some new clothes of her own on more than one occasion), Shota still feels uneasy about letting Maigo go alone.

   He leans over the countertop in his kitchen, shoulders and spine so hunched it makes his back look perfectly spherical. His fingers are curled, palms and fingertips pressing down hard into the rough wooden top of the counter, fingernails slightly scratching its surface. He can feel his pulse in the top of his head all the way down to his feet, marching along at a breakneck pace as he tries to slow his tight, quiet breathing to something more manageable.

   "Well," he huffs out to himself, "it isn't like she's really alone."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   She's never been alone at the mall, sure, but she's never gone with about 20 other people, either.

   Everyone had already begun to split off, all leaving in different directions. It was difficult for the young girl to keep up with who was leaving with who, much less where each group was going. She hangs her head low, chin in complete contact with her chest, eyes glued to the scuffed tips of her sneakers. She can feel her shoulders tense, muscles transforming into rock-like substances. She can't leave, she doesn't have anyone to take her home. But she can't ask any of her classmates to take her with them.

   A hand rests lightly on her shoulder, making her entire body shiver slightly. She lifts her head millimeter by millimeter, until she is looking into black and gold eyes. The pink-skinned girl that sits near the door (is her name Mina?) gives the younger girl a bright, bubbly smile.

   "Wanna come check out bathing suits with us?" she asks, gesturing to the group of other girls behind her with her thumb. The tall, spiky black-haired girl waves slightly while the shorter purple-haired one offers a peace sign after glancing up from her phone.

   Maigo nods vigorously, eyes wide as she fights to keep a shy smile from creeping onto her face. Mina's face erupts into something even brighter as she grasps the child's hand and gently guides her to the rest of her group.

   "Let's go, then," she exclaims, charging through large swaths of people milling left and right while the other girls scramble behind them. "To the swim shop!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   Hizashi's phone has gone off probably ten thousand times in the past twenty minutes. He chuckles slightly as he picks the device up and punches the 'answer call' button with his thumb.

   "She doesn't even know any of them that well," Shota belts out curtly from the speaker.

   "Not even going to start with a hello this time," Hizashi jokes. He tries to keep his tone as light as possible, for his best friend's sake.

   "They're probably all going to split off and she'll be left there alone," Shota continues.

   "Are you sure you're not a father?" Hizashi drawls.