Safe

The handful of days immediately after the fall of the notorious villain All For One pass by in a whirlwind of press conferences and paperwork. Bakugo has been rescued from the League of Villains' hideout. The group of troublemakers from Aizawa's class are sought out and dealt with accordingly. Shota still cannot believe that the class rep himself was caught in trouble yet again. He wonders if Iida's status should be revoked. A class representative should not behave so recklessly.

   Bakugo's aggressive reputation and fiery attitude had also made things difficult in both rescue efforts and the aftermath. While the heroes were scrambling together in order to rescue their young student, Aizawa was left fielding press questions demonizing the kid and asking if he would turn to the side of villainy. And while Shota would happily go to bat for all his kids, it had taken incredibly impressive self-control to not throttle any reporter that questioned the integrity of his most explosive student.

   And yet, there is another issue pressing on the dark-haired man's mind, vying for his attention. Ever since the attack at the camp, Maigo has been growing more distraught. She no longer sleeps, and getting her to eat has become a herculean effort. The most concerning development is the return of her nightmares, how she shoots up in bed in the middle of the night screaming incoherently. Her usual comforts have proven useless in calming her down, much to the chagrin of Shota, Nemuri, and Hizashi. Not even the news that Bakugo had returned, safe and sound, was able to comfort the young girl.

   It isn't that the conversation is difficult to bring up, but more so that it is difficult to ignore.

   "I'm not keeping her in there, Mic," the Erasure hero growls. "She's too young, and it's too dangerous. I can't even believe I agreed to put her in there in the first place."

   Hizashi has the good sense to look ashamed, averting his gaze and fiddling with the zipper of his leather jacket. The glint from his orange shades hides his eyes.

   "What, you're not going to say anything?"

   "No," Hizashi finally forces out. "I think it's a good idea."

   A moment of silence passes between the two. Hizashi continues nervously picking at his clothes. Shota's crosses his arms over his chest and lets out a heavy sigh. "Now I just have to talk Nezu into letting her go."

   "I'll help you," Yamada mumbles. "It's the least I could do, for getting you into this."

   "What?"

   Hizashi finally forces himself to look at Shota. His eyes are shining with tears. "If I hadn't blabbed to Nezu in the first place, Maigo wouldn't even be in this situation! She'd still be at your apartment, and we'd still be taking care of her like the eight year-old she is!"

   The silence that stretches between the two heroes turns awkward. When Shota speaks again, his voice is hoarse. "It's alright. You already said you didn't think she'd ever end up as a student here."

   "Yeah, but that doesn't mean I still don't feel responsible for it happening."

   "And I've already told you I don't blame you for any of this. So would you please just drop it already?"

   Hizashi ducks his head back down, nodding in agreement. The pit in Shota's stomach lessens a little bit, finally convinced his best friend won't be weird around him anymore. "Now can we please focus on convincing Principal Nezu that an eight year-old child should not be taking high school-level chemistry?"

   "Only if we can bet on how long it'll take," Hizashi responds, a look of humor ghosting over his features.

   "Twenty bucks says it'll take over three hours."